1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hayes all in on this deal. Also dripping with arrogance. Twitter helps no journalist.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

People, journalists - arguing over the billion dollar values of networks built on unpaid labor.
    Stop this world. I want off.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That story is confusing. It calls this a “rule” in which players will be “encouraged “ to give at least $50/year. Use of encouraged sted required is confusing.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If your boss, the guy who decides how many hours you get and if you get raises or remain employed, "encourages" you to donate $50 to his favorite charity, would you feel pressured to give the money?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Apparently, it's not mandatory. It's encouraged though. Kind of like all those "optional" workouts during the summer.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

When I worked in newspapers, I was encouraged/pressured to donate the the United Way every year so our paper could have 100 percent participation. I did not donate, not one single time. Fuck the United Way.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always irritated me when companies stingy with bonuses "encourage" employees to donate to anything. Having athletes on full-scholarship make some calls to donors to encourage them to give more? That's fine. But having them donate cash? Ridiculous.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reminded of the times publishers had us listen to a pitch for his favorite charity. I was tempted to say in the middle of one "Oh, you want us to give? I thought this was where to sign up."

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Shoulda tell the publisher, "I gave at the office."

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"I was going to give part of my bonus, but "oh - that's right....."

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted