1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular places you have no desire to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hate the Cubs with the passion of a 1,000 suns, but even I would say Wrigley Field is a great place to watch a game.

It's also a great place to win Game 163.

Gutter likes this.
  2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I, too, liked Puerto Rico, much more than I thought I would. Rather than it being a place I'd have no desire to visit, it is a place I would go to again.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The Grand Canyon...I've flown over it enough times en route to Las Vegas to feel like I've been there so I'm good.

Hoover Dam too...I'm good without either.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

2010. Have they renovated it?

And maybe it's better elsewhere in the park. I was in the upper deck. Place wreaked of a bad mix of stale concession stand food, sewer and alcohol. Cramped seats. Plenty of drunks who couldn't handle liquor.

My time walking around the park didn't make me think it was much different elsewhere.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yes, they've renovated it. Extensively. And most of the surrounding area.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I may have to give it another shot. Old man has always wanted to go and was mad I went without him.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Go in September, after school has started again and tourist season is over, when they play the Pirates and the Reds (13-18). Plenty of good seats available, lots of room to spread out.

Liut and SFIND like this.
  8. RARist

RARist Member

If there's one place where there's not a lot of English, it's Japan. Lost in Translation is pretty accurate in its depiction.
    The real handicap - same with Arabic countries - is not being able to read anything - in Europe, you can at least understand the letters and maybe make out a direction or place, whatever.
    In Japan, it's like being deaf and mute.

Liut likes this.
  9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Depends where you are and what depth of experience you want. If you're out in the countryside or off the well-beaten tourist path, then yes, you need some Japanese to do more than wander about. In the big cities and major tourist spots, though, they either have ample English signage or are used to dealing with foreigners who don't speak Japanese wandering about. People with no Japanese ability regularly come to the country and have a great time -- I've known many, and been one myself.

Would it be a richer experience if you could read all the signs and say more than a few survival phrases? Without question. Do you need to hit N3 on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test before even considering a visit? Not in the slightest.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Saint Maarten is my favorite island in the Caribbean. Love it there.

Liut likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to do a weekend series in Wrigley. The idea of leaving work at 1030 on a Friday morning, going to a bar to pregame for a bit then off to the game really appeals to me.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just this weekend I’ve come to the realization that Dodge City KS and its gross food is worthy of including on this list.

Draft saved Draft deleted