1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Rock Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Saw them at the Mexicantown Festival in Detroit in the 90s
    This brought down the house

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Shame this isn't a thread on the hair metal Mt. Rushmore.

We could call it Mt. Buttmore.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I flashed on this thread a couple of days ago. I saw a picture of a large rock formation, a ridge that the local Native Americans called the "Six Grandfathers". Of course, that was before somebody came along and carved pictures of Presidents into it.

5. Neutral Corner

That's a great article, thanks. They mention Lyle at Rockefeller's, which I wish I could have seen. I caught a lot of good acts at Rockefeller's, most notably Warren Zevon. It was a depression era bank, all granite and marble, with the old lobby converted to a performance space that seated maybe three hundred people. There were tables on the floor and a balcony level that circled the room, part of which was all but over the stage. Fabulous place to catch a show.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Here's a rarity. Lyle at age 20 or so, playing at a backyard BBQ with Nancy Griffith. Got to love youtube.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

maumann and SFIND like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Someone we haven't mentioned (or I've missed) is John Anderson. He doesn't get a spot on the mountain, but he certainly cut his teeth on the 1970s Florida music circuit, and that puts you at the Southern Rock cookout.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

According to the Wikipedia page, John Anderson has recorded under 10 different labels (two times for Warner Bros.) since moving to Nashville in 1971. That includes MCA, Capitol, RCA, Mercury and Columbia.

"Straight Tequila Nights" and "Seminole Wind" are outstanding.

Driftwood and UNCGrad like this.
  10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Really loving this thread, though I, too l, am one who doesn't get too deep into what's southern, vs., uh, whatever. (Even though I'm a Carolina guy.)

Anyway, love the earlier mention of Waylon, but did want to posit JJ Grey and Mofro. Any fans here? I've always had a lot of love for Grey's stuff, especially the "Country Ghetto" record, and dying to see one of his shows.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Seminole Wind is one of my all-time favorites. I'm not even from Florida, but that song has meaning on top of being a good tune.

maumann and FileNotFound like this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

About which performers are Southern Rock, I will settle it for y'all.

If I think they suck, they are Southern Rock. If I think they don't, they are something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted