1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 10)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, Watford gets a home game in Round 2 against Coventry when I'll be in the UK, so I get two live matches. Sweet!

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Pulisic with the assist!

Yeah, yea, Super Cup and all that. Still, it was a great ball.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Liverpool wins fourth Super Cup 5-4 on PKs.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Liverpool are going to lose to Southampton on Saturday, I fear.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Indulge an old man moment — a bunch of the girls that I coached made the cut for our 9th grade soccer team — Grade 9 to you @typefitter — and I couldn’t be prouder. In our 5 years we were, at best, middling, but it’s kind of emotional to get the excited texts from the parents and my remembering that the kid who didn’t realize that she could use her hands at GK 5 years ago is on a path to make varsity.

typefitter, Cosmo and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good comeback by Atlanta United tonight in the Campeones Cup.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

One of the cool things about ESPN+ is getting all of the MLS games.

I think it’s helped my interest and knowledge of the league. I love that MLS has a highlight show along the lines of the Premier League highlight show that has aired on various platforms since the pre-PL days of the late 80s. (If you remember turf at Luton and Oldham, you know you’ve been watching a while.)

8. Webster

Crazy that they play extra time for that game.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's more than a friendly but less than a real final. Both teams clearly wanted to win it.

10. Webster

Didn't watch, but they certainly had the A lineups playing. Just seems excessive from a wear and tear point of view.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Salford City's home ground (Salford is a Manchester suburb) seats 5,108. There are 4A high school football stadiums in Texas larger than that.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Does ESPN+ have Eredivisie games again this season? I've thought about getting it just for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted