1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Luck is in an odd space. I think he has a lot of tread on the tire, and he'd be a great pickup for a team "in the window" but lacking a stud QB - but I think by the time the Colts will be contenders, he'll be done.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They could be contenders this year.

3. DanOregon

for the division maybe.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Apart from New England who do you like in the AFC?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now that the league has decided to let Tyreek Hill off the hook, the Chiefs should be there again and they were one bonehead penalty away from beating the Patriots in the playoffs last season.,

That said, I agree that the Colts could be in the mix in the AFC this season. I don't think the Chargers or Ravens are anything special and I'll believe in the Browns when I see it in the regular season. I'm not sure the Steelers can find more ways to screw up than they did last season, but I certainly don't think they are better with Antonio Brown gone. The Patriots still have to be the favorites, even with Gronkowski gone, but it's not like they can't be beaten.

6. DanOregon

Brady's never lost more than two divisional games in his career - and that includes being 8-11 at Miami over the span. Weird.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Colts were 10-6 last year, do you really believe it is time to give up on Luck?

8. DanOregon

I think he's 29 and I don't see a bunch of conference titles in his near future.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But you do see that if they replace him now?

10. DanOregon

No - but I also think the team is "out of sync" - seems like a younger QB could mature with the team. We've seen a bit of this lately where the teams that are "set" at QB aren't competitive while teams like the Broncos, Texans and Jags could use a top-flight QB.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They went 10-6 last year, though. Plus, the argument could be made that they're on the upswing, because they went from an awful GM to (at least so far) a competent one. Yeah, the string of injuries for Luck is concerning, but I don't think they're in like Eli Manning or Joe Flacco territory here yet, where it's clear the team should move on. (The team that IS closer to that point to me is Tampa Bay.)

12. More like Stafford is a healthier version of Luck. ;)

Not really. Lukc could be really good. But he's injury-prone. He's a new version of Sam Bradford.

Um .... the Chiefs.
    Have to be the favorite, right?

Some of that is due to the Pats being great. A lot of it also due the fact they typically play in a really weak division. aside from NE, how many of those teams has had a long-term QB? I'd love to know which intra-divisional team's QB has faced Brady the most and how many times. I suspect it's a single-digit number.

Draft saved Draft deleted