1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Oh, FFS.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's an interesting take on it.

I'd still argue the story is about a progressive dystopia, much like Fahrenheit 451.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Oscar Madison-
    Great post.
    I too grow weary of trying to evaluate a sack of cow shit - he is not worth the effort and is what he is.
    Trump has never achieved anything on his own ... and as such the self-made are truly whom he holds most in contempt.
    Deep down he knows he is a schmuck and his father probably told him (and his other male siblings) this many times.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are people on both political sides pushing ideas that Vonnegut and Bradbury were warning us about. Go back and re-read the descriptions of how the society developed in Fahrenheit 451. It has some strong parallels to things President Trump and his supporters are pushing, especially the drive to get people to ignore the media and only trust whatever they are shoveling out to the masses themselves. It's about government trying to take away the media's role in helping keep the government honest.

To say it it is only progressives pushing us toward the types of societies depicted in those books shows either dishonesty or a lack of understanding.

Driftwood and OscarMadison like this.
  6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I am not saying you are wrong but I read 451 as warning about all that came with McCarthyism and the dangers of not allowing an educated masses. Though I am not in anyway pretending to be an expert I never felt that was taking shots at progressives. But it has been decades since I read it. I do think I remember Bradbury going crazy conservative later in life though so maybe interpretations changed.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Just looked it up. 50.4 percent to 47. That's doable with a solid candidate.

8. outofplace

I have the 60th anniversary edition, which has an introduction written by Neil Gaiman. I liked his take on such things. "If someone tells you what a story is about, they are probably right. If they tell you that is all the story is about, they are very definitely wrong."

I'm sure Bradbury had one meaning in mind, but he was also probably smart enough to realize that people are going to see different things in it. In any type of creative writing, the reader is hopefully an active participant, taking in what the author shares and interpreting it through their own mindset.

To be fair, that is probably what Alma is doing. He has some misconceptions and biases against progressives, so that colors his perceptions. I'm sure my own biases play a role, too, but I see people on both sides politically pushing ideas and/or policies that could lead us closer to some of what Bradbury was warning us about.

There isn't one way to interpret either work and if Bradbury did change his own view on the book later in life, that doesn't mean his take on it is the only one worth considering.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, it's about censorship - objection to ideas deemed dangerous or offensive - and while McCarthy certainly trafficked in that, Bradbury understood anybody could. Today, the left absolutely does. Twitter is perfect for just that.

10. outofplace

You think the left is the only place to find people trying to censor others. You're funny.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

"Maybe businesses shouldn't give a public platform for people to say they want to murder Jews, blacks and Mexicans."

"CENSORSHIP! THOUGHT POLICE!"

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.