1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

General state of the industry thread.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Fuck the establishment.

Sports Barf likes this.
  2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You have to get out. There are no positives to newspaper work right now especially in sports. When are the newspaper suits going to get it. Those who have fled to The Athletic have done so because they get to WRITE. No videos, no podcasts, no working 80 hours and paid for 40, no ridiculous stories designed just to get quick page views. Newspapers are rotten to the core. Got to get out.

Liut likes this.
  3. Is someone going to tell Fredrick that The Athletic does podcasts?

Liut likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're going because The Athletic pays more to write less - in some cases far less - for right now. I have no idea why or how that model works, I certainly hope it does, but I don't know why the public at large would pay for less coverage on the idea that the stories "marinate."

What's going to happen - and already is on a lot of pro beats - is The Athletic folks are working just as hard as they were, they're on Twitter all day (I mean all friggin day) and, yes, podcasts and videos are probably coming, too.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Me too.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And is someone going to tell Fredrick that he needs to heed his own advice before sending others into that good night?

7. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

What, no cake?

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

This post also works if it stops after the first seven words.

9. Fredrick

Yes it does. Less work, more pay. That's a winning combination and very little interference of the suits.

10. Fredrick

Severance dollars are just a miniscule amount. No reason to stick around for that pittance. Get out now.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have 42 months left in the workforce. I know exactly what's expected of me each day and do it well.

Get out now and do what?

Tweener and maumann like this.
  12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I have 23 months left. I know exactly what you mean. I’ll do what I’m told and get paid.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted