1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular places you have no desire to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Aug 8, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I drove through Huntington at night and it was trip. When I was a kid there was nothing there. I need to see it in the sunlight because I won't recognize it at all.

Tweener likes this.
  2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Huntington was pretty cool. We were there twice in '18, including for the July 4 fireworks. Almost wrecked our rental car parking on the PCH with about 100 other people. Cops came and everyone bugged out of Dodge like it was the start of LeMans.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Don't bother bringing traffic into the discussion of L.A./O.C. It is bad everywhere. The Valley gets no points in the traffic game.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Wish you'd have told me you were here. I'm good for a cocktail or two. I told you before that I'd probably like you if I ever met you.

JC likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't want to visit any new football, baseball or basketball venues. Or old ones, for that matter.

I've managed to avoid the Orlando theme parks during my yearly business trips there. But with a kid now fully into Harry Potter, I think a Universal trip is on tap for next year. In July. Ugh.

maumann likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Look at it this way, Inky: It's a great weight-loss plan.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I refuse to go to Wrigley Field. I have cultivated a life-long, deep-seated Cubs hatred and feel like it would be compromised if I go just because "you have to go to Wrigley once if you're a baseball fan." Horsefeathers.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I was spoiled with Grandparents who lived in Orlando and got sheets and sheets of free Disney tickets from working PGA events at the Magic Kingdom - I've been to Disney more times than I can count, and I don't have a big desire to go back.

But I really, really, really don't understand the moms in my Facebook feed who are taking their families to Disney two and three times a year, year after year. These are truly middle class families who can't have an over abundance of disposable income. And how come husband doesn't at some point say, "Hey babe - you want to try to vacation somewhere else this time?"

lakefront likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I really, really, really don't understand the parents who do that and then make lunch and dinner reservations six months in advance and build spreadsheets showing the order of the rides they'll hit and when they'll use their Fast Passes.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Going to Disney once? Fine. I get it.

But at some point don't you have to say, "Hey instead of going to the land of fake make believe, why don't we go see something real?"

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Disney is an addiction for some. I have a colleague who lives about 60 minutes away but everyone in the family has season passes and they go to the two Anaheim parks at least once a month.

But she may think it's odd I drive 200 miles round trip a dozen times a year for pro sporting events. We all have our "thing."

lakefront likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An old sportswriting friend from college has a side gig as a certified Disney trip planner, tell her when you're going and she'll build your itinerary and make all the ride/restaurant reservations. She gets paid in free trips for her family. What's sad is unless you're a Disneyphile, you really need someone like that if you're going at peak times. It has turned into a cutthroat vacation where the FOMO is constant.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted