1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ringer is Live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ewing Theory is bullshit.

Should be the Dale Murphy Theory.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ouch

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Yep, these are my scabs.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I so love that word.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I don’t have it because I’m on vacation and don’t feel like looking....but someone told me Portnoy reacted very negatively to the possibility of a union at Barstool. Interesting times.

EDIT: Goalmouth posted them in the Sports & News board

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Simmons used "yup" — not "yep" like all right-thinking people use.

I have trained my girls well.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Curious what this means for crossover talents, they have a lot of “contributors” who wear other hats that could be cast as management by a clever organizer.

Example, the guy who does the wrestling podcast and Press Box is also the art director. Wheres a union fall on his title? Does he get paid for the pods or they all fall under one umbrella? Does he have to stop doing the pods if he’s not in the union, like how certain unions forbid “management” from fixing a toilet etc?

A former wrestling pod co-host said he was never paid. Would a union forbid all non-paid pod “guests?” Who defines whats a “co-host” and whats a “celeb” or “guest”?

Seems a lot more complex that just we’re a union give us a raise

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I bet they never thought of that.

Back to the drawing board!

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Slightly related, there's a case in my state where the courts are going to determine whether the graduate student teaching assistant at the university are employees — which means they can unionize — or students first and employees second, which means they can't unionize.

If Barstool or the Ringer can classify almost all workers as freelancers or contributors, they're probably fucked as far as forming a union.

11. Webster

I should have used Google

12. Webster

Who makes it into a bargaining unit is not an easy question and it just because an employer pushes back or seeks clarity on those definitions does not make them anti-union.

As to the podcast guest thing, it is interesting. I know that many radio and podcast regular guests don't get paid because they do it to raise their own profile and/or as a favor.

Draft saved Draft deleted