1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In a world of too much good TV - and lapses between season, nice to have an entertaining refresher.

Man Of Recaps

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that the first episode of Succession leaned just a little too hard into the self-aware campiness.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to rewatch. Drifted in and out of sleep during it last night ... not because it was boring, but because I was exhausted.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I hate everybody in that family.

Kato likes this.
  5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I seem to recall, after the first season, reading a review or listening to a podcast in which they considered Succession to be very funny and almost a comedy, that it was supposed to be campy as it portrayed these horrible people (seriously, to echo @ChrisLong, "I hate everybody in that family."). I've never thought about it going that far at all, though.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Finally saw last week's episode of Yellowstone and daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that show has gotten really fucking dark.

Aside from the kid, there's not a decent character left on the show.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That show is so much better when the patriarch (Logan Roy) is on go. The rest of the family is a funny assortment of personalities. The Culkin's character is a little too over the top but he's got some good zingers. The nephew and the new SIL are both funny. If you think too hard, yeah its sickening. There was some good perspective on the future of news media in last night's premiere.

After GoT and Big Pretty Lies, needed something to look forward to and this isn't bad.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Anybody watch Serengeti on Discovery channel?

Looked a little too made up. They show a lion stalking an antelope. Then cut to a shot with the camera 5 feet in front of the lion, and the lion is almost swatting at you.

That's a director's cut that obv isn't real. Super distracting. We didn't make it thru the first episode.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I watched a bit of Serengeti yesterday, and I seriously wondered how they got the shots they did, much like The Blue Planet series that took years and years to film.

I also actively, viscerally dislike the naming of wild animals. I mean, it sets me on edge something fierce.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What do you mean?

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I mean they're wild animals, not some Cindy Lou Hoo shit. In that Serengeti show, every damn animal had a name. Doing that is close to assigning human values, and emotions, to a wild animal. Name all the domesticated animals you want, but not the wild ones. This ain't some Born Free shit.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But it's damn good TV. The Beck brother who was also Buck on Band of Brothers is pretty cold.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted