1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeffrey Epstein, dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Is the Manhattan Correctional Facility where Manafort was confined different from the Manhattan Correctional Center where Epstein died?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Igor Ivanovich could not be reached for comment

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think it's most likely that Epstein committed suicide because prison staff couldn't have cared less if this degenerate offed himself and paid little regard to him.

If there were some secret plan to kill him, the prime suspects would probably be any heirs to his fortune. Since he wasn't and can't be convicted in a court of law, it's going to be much more difficult for his victims to seek civil penalties from his estate. Frankly, it's unlikely any of them could afford to pursue civil suits against his estate.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One huge factor against the suicide theory is the fact Epstein probably had about an 80 percent chance for a presidential pardon.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I am having a hard time understanding why it’s completely impossible that an alleged billionaire who clearly lived the highest life he could imagine, in exotic locations around the world, with questionable financial sources, and clearly a sexual addiction, who by all means appeared to be completely soulless and devoid of normal emotions, would see the so very obvious handwriting on the wall and not take his own life at the first available moment.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Re: your point about it being much more difficult for his victims to seek civil penalties from his estate.

I think you're wrong. For all the horrors and damage done by the Catholic Church, there is one saving grace. A new law goes into effect this week that originally was meant to help sex abuse victims sue the Church and other organizations for monetary damages.

New NY law will enable Jeffrey Epstein's alleged victims to go after his estate
    "The Child Victims Act gives people a one-year window to sue for sex abuse damages, regardless of when the alleged acts happened. In addition to that, the law also extends the statute of limitations for criminal charges against child sex abusers."

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Also, to the point about surviving heirs to his fortune:
    He had no offspring, as far as anyone has admitted. He has one brother, Mark -- and that brother owns a massive townhouse on east 66th street (not to be confused with the even more massive house a few blocks away that was gifted to J. Epstein by Leslie Wexner, founder of Limited/Victoria's Secret, to be used as Epstein's primary residence).
    Many of Epstein's victims have testified they were assaulted by him at the brother's townhouse on 66th street. It's also the address where Epstein's female pimps -- and that is the correct terminology -- registered their own separate companies.

So absolutely, I hope every person affiliated with both residences are sued until they are paupers, and then the residences are demolished, cleansed and turned into places of good, like shelters for the battered and abused.

Wealth of Jeffrey Epstein’s Brother Is Also a Mystery

OscarMadison, bigpern23 and Slacker like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. bigpern23

My point wasn't so much about statute of limitations as it was that, since he was not convicted in a court of law, the victims and their lawyers will now have to make their case in civil court. Their lawyers will now have to do the heavy lifting. Had he been convicted by prosecutors already, I'd imagine the civil lawsuit would have been a slam dunk.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

exactly. He lived life as a coward and he died as a coward.

wicked and OscarMadison like this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'd argue that any competent (and imagine there will be a massive line of them wanting the fees and honor) civil case lawyer is salivating at the opportunity.

Remember:
    • Civil Court – Civil cases have a much lower standard of guilt and only requires the plaintiff to prove the defendant acted negligently with a 51 percent degree of certainty.
    You do not have to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" in a civil suit. Even though you can argue Epstein cannot defend himself from the grave, any of his writings, phone messages or texts can be used against him to prove negligence.

My guess is that Epstein's lawyers tie up the courts with delays, claiming no money can be paid until the estate is settled, etc. But sooner or later, the bill's coming due.

12. bigpern23

None of that is a counterpoint to my statement.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted