1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Rock Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the loss of Berry Oakley. Duane, then Berry, and the interpersonal dynamics were all skewed.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Creedence
    The Band
    The (Original) Allmans
    Skynyrd

After that, the JV teams and a lot of borderline/crossover cases.

All-Time Southern Rock Anthems:

Creedence, "Proud Mary"
    The Band, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"
    Allmans, "Jessica"
    Skynyrd, "SHA."

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Band? I mean, they sound Southern and Levon was an Arkie. But ...

4. Starman

Oh yeah. They definitely identified as Southern most of their career. Ditto for Creedence, which originated in NorCal, but adopted the South as their lyrical motif.

5. Starman

R.E.M. had a definite Southern vibe going with Reckoning, Murmur and Fables of the Reconstruction, but broke out of it with Life's Rich Pageant. And after that, they belonged to the world.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I don't know whether The Band is southern rock or not -- I wouldn't classify their sound as that personally.

But they meet all of Driftwood's criteria* a few pages back, and there's no doubt they identified with the South. Look no further than The Last Waltz and the prominent display of the Confederate flag in one scene.

*As I've argued on here once before in regards to being an "American band," though 4/5 are from Canada, their inspiration is all from Memphis and the South, and Robbie Robertson talks at length in his recent memoir how important it was for them to spend significant time there and get close to "the source."

7. Neutral Corner

I look at both Creedence and The Band as proto-Americana. They synthesized folk, country, rock, rockabilly, blues, jazz, R&B, gospel, mountain music, swamp music and more, then drank from that simmering stew. I'd put Little Feat in the same sort of category but further down the timeline. Maybe throw in American Beauty/Workingman's Dead era Grateful Dead.

It's not "Southern Rock", but it honors and pulls from many of the same roots. We can name dozens of bands who spun off of this music into distinct orbits - Burrito Bros., The Blasters, Los Lobos, lots more.

It's kind of shameful how little credit CCR gets. They put out a string of hits over three years that few bands can match. Four absolute no-shit classics - Bad Moon Rising, Proud Mary, Green River, Lodi. The critics threw some brickbats, but they owned from '69-'71.

8. Starman

Dylan's Blonde On Blonde has an absolute Southern aura.

Of course that might have had something to do with playing it nonstop on a tape deck in a Chevette with three other guys on a 40-hour round trip to the 1982 Final Four at the Superdome.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Who'll Stop The Rain, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Down On The Corner, Looking Out My Back Door, Up Around The Bend, Suzie Q, Travelin' Band.

Buncha guys from El Cerrito who sounded like they were from Louisiana.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

CCR was called Swamp Rock
    The problem with including CCR and The Band is that opens the conversation to the Eagles

heyabbott and maumann like this.
  11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

That's a perfect description.

maumann likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

First off, none are Southern Rock, by definition.

I get the Eagles backlash. Personally, I break them into pre-Hotel California and post. They were a solid and original band till they caught lightning in a jar on HC. They did the perfectionist multiple take process on HC, but it flat worked. It just sounded right.

Then they had to follow HC up, and it absolutely paralyzed them. The Long Run, with its mega takes and overdubs, the synthesized "perfect" handclaps, etc. became pretty soulless. It just sucked out the juice.

In the years since they got played to death and became a cautionary tale regarding studio excess, to the detriment of their reputation.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted