1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Walmart turn into America's loony bin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You should have nut punched that store manager for putting up with that shit. Fuck.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

For me, part of it is how many stops I want to make. I go to the "mainstream" grocery store or (preferably the farmer's market) for produce. Then the specialty meat market for meat, and Wal-Mart for toiletries and boxed/canned/refrigerated/frozen grocery goods. Do I want to add in an Aldi's trip and make it a 4-stop, half-day affair?

One example of the price difference that has really stuck out to me: my wife and I sometimes use those Zyquil sleep aid capsules. At Walgreens, a box of 12 costs $5.99. At Wal-Mart, they are $4.97. The Wal-Mart brand, which includes the same exact ingredients, and works just as well, is 97 cents for the same box of 12.

I wish I was in a place where I could stand up for the mom-and-pop stores and only give my business to those people, but I can't do that. Not sure I would even if I could.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Here, Costco and Walmart are in the same center. I go to Costco first, mostly for food. We've never been disappointed by Costco meat. Anything they don't have, I go to Walmart. Usually just for toiletries.
    Posed a question here many moons ago. Nobody answered: Are the Wrangler shorts from Walmart the same as the Wrangler shorts from Target. I have many pairs. You look at the labels (if they are accurate) and they are made in many different places, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've wonder that with undershirts. Are the 6 for $20 at JC Penny or Kohl's the same as the 6 for $8 at Walmart, or do Fruit of the Loom and Hanes make different qualities for different retailers?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Perhaps this has already been noted but to the OP? How are you just noticing that Walmart is America's loony bin? Visit a Walmart at 11:30 PM on a school night and you will be amazed at all the alcohol/cigarette smoke smelling parents w/kids that somehow think it is a good idea to take the kids shopping. God bless the teachers.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Depends on the brand. Some do. Some don't.

Levi's does a "Signature" line that is exclusively for WM. And "Denizen" for Target. You can't find those offerings on Levi's website.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At my store, they keep home pregnancy kits under lock and key as well. Twice I've been asked for recommendations. SMH.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Are the Walmart online prices the same as the store prices?

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I read somewhere years ago that Wal-Mart goes to the suppliers and says (for example) to Del Monte, "We will pay 50 cents for this can of corn."

Del Monte comes back and says, "No, our cans of corn are 89 cents." Then Wal-Mart goes back and says "Fine, we won't carry your brand. If you want it in our 5 billion stores, you need to give it to us for 50 cents per can."

The result is that Del Monte has the 89-cent cans that they sell to everyone else, and a lesser-quality, 50-cent can that is only sold in Wal-Marts. So you get what you pay for when it comes to quality.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Many stories like that are apocryphal. In that example, I'd doubt Del Monte has the equipment to sort individual kernals of corn into normal grade vs. WM grade.

Now WM (and every other retailer) does apply that kind of downward pressure on prices from manufacturers. It's more data based now. "You know, this peg isn't turning fast enough. So if you want to keep it in our 5,000 stores then we'll need to either get it from you cheaper or you'll need to improve your pull-through at POS."

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That doesn't seem legal.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It’s negotiations. Completely legal.

Draft saved Draft deleted