1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Ryan: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 7, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would say Drew Brees is right there with Brady, Peyton and Rodgers.

Tweener likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're right, of course. Very bad omission on my part. But it just makes it tougher for the Eli-Rivers-Ryan group. Hell, it makes it harder for Roethlisberger.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

One:

They put in Kurt Warner two years ago, so who knows what the electorate feels now.

Two:

There are only two QBs who have been inducted who played after 2000.

The last generation )through the 90s they put seven: Aikman, Montana, Moon, Marino, Kelly, Elway, Young.

You could do Brady, Brees, both Mannings, Big Ben Rodgers and Rivers to go with Favre and Warner already in and that's eight. Wilson would make nine and depending on how long he plays, he probably should go with the next generation. His career started in 2012, everyone else on this list started in 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004 and 2005.

4. Michael_ Gee

Aikman was the QB of an historic dynasty, which is an automatic qualifier. Bob Griese is in for God's sake. Kelly was also QB of a very weird dynasty. Moon has longevity on his side plus there is little doubt the voters selected him in part to expiate the NFL's ridiculous race-based treatment of him when he got out of college. All the others of that pre-2000 list were considered, at least briefly, the best at the position in the league. Nobody has ever said that about Eli or Rivers. I would never vote for either, and would think hard and long about Big Ben.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Eli beat Brady twice and beat Favre and Rodgers in Green Bay in January.

He’s in.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Why?

This is a QB league right now.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Big Ben is sixth in passing yards, seventh in TD passes played in three Super Bowls and won two rings, with the loss coming against a future Hall of Famer. No one is thinking long or hard about him getting in on the first ballot.

8. Michael_ Gee

That's exactly why it gets harder. When what was once superlative becomes commonplace, as has happened with a lot of passing stats, the numbers get less important and the eye test and other markers like MVPs and Super Bowls count more. The latter shouldn't count as much as they do, but as one of your previous posts indicated, the inane practice of attributing Super Bowls to quarterback vs. quarterback has become a sad consensus. I mean, look at the last Super Bowl. Brady had a perfectly OK game, but he was like the seventh most important Pat on the field that night. It's not right, but Ryan's MVP will be canceled out by being the QB of the team with the biggest choke job in Super Bowl history.
    Della, if I'm still alive when they hold the vote, I got a six pack says Ben doesn't get in on the first try.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, that it is a quarterback-driven league now should help the top guys because in a lot of ways, they carry a heavier load than quarterbacks of the past. It makes sense if more quarterbacks get in now than in previous eras. They way everybody seems to have forgotten Roethlisberger's character issues, other than making the occasional joke about them, he is an easy decision. He's got rings and numbers.

10. Michael_ Gee

There are 53 players on a team and five get into the Hall eveey year except next year. As long as that persists, legit Hall guys will wait. OOP, my bet with Della is open to you. I can drink a lot of beer, even at my advanced age.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Since about 1960, there are usually about six to eight HOF quarterbacks playing in the league at any time. Yes, there are some brief moments where it falls to below that, but it is rare.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then I'd be in the position of betting on Roethlisberger. I never let what he is sour me on the team, but no way I would want to do that.

The point still stands. That this is a quarterback-driven league now more than ever should set things up for more quarterbacks to get in, not fewer.

Draft saved Draft deleted