1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2019 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 28, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Snell's been an outright disaster since that trade. I'm stuck with it now, so hopefully he rights the ship, but he's been fucking terrible.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Trading is the fun part, but it can also be frustrating. That goes for moves you make and those you don't make.

I have a guy trying to get Austin Meadows and Dylan Cease from me. Meadows is cheap at $4 and has great numbers despite the recent slump. Cease is also cheap and one of the top prospects still in the minors. He's also likely to be up some time in July.

I'm pretty sure I could get D.J. LeMahieu and David Price from him, but the former is 30 and in a career year and the latter is too expensive to even consider as a keeper. He was willing to throw in Ian Desmond and Carlos Carrasco, who may not even pitch again this season due to a blood disorder. Am I nuts to pass? I just don't trust LeMahieu and Desmond is a fading player on a hot streak, but it probably does make me better right now at the cost of my keeper list.

3. bigpern23

While cknowledging my Yankees bias, I see no reason not to believe in LeMahieu. He's going to score 120 runs in that lineup and it's reasonable to think he can hit 20 HRs in Yankee Stadium and drive in 100 while batting .315 or better (he's batted .310 or better in three of the last four seasons).

Price's peripherals support his current numbers, and he could probably be a little better.

All of that said, it largely depends on your current situation. Where are you in the standings? Do you have OF depth? Do you need IF or SP help?

I'm a firm believer that if you have a team capable of winning it all, it makes perfect sense to bolster your current roster at the expense of prospect potential.

4. outofplace

I've got plenty of infield depth and Gennett returning soon, so that isn't really an issue. I'm a little thinner in the outfield, but Desmond is at least worth starting as long as he holds on to his current playing time. I am a little concerned about the way the Red Sox are babying Price lately. It makes me wonder if he is fully healthy and it also limits his value in my league, which counts quality starts.

It's the SP help I need. Even with Clevinger returning Friday, starting pitching has been my team's biggest weakness all season.

I submitted a tweaked offer this morning, so we'll see if Lemahieu's hot hitting changed his mind or if I'm asking too much.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  5. outofplace

I just found out my offer was accepted and I'm already battling buyer's remorse.

I traded Austin Meadows and Dylan Cease for D.J. LeMahieu, David Price, Edwin Diaz, Ian Desmond and Hunter Pence. The change from the previous offer was Pence, who should be back in a few days, which gives me another useful bat in the outfield. I didn't really need Diaz, but Price was a big add for me and LeMahieu is excellent, especially in an OBP league.

Of course, Meadows could be a star and Cease has big upside, but I'm in fourth place (in the money) and just nine points out of first. I've also got some good prospects even without Cease and Meadows has regressed quite a bit lately. Maybe it's just a slump, but at worst LeMahieu because a keeper because he's cheap and productive.

6. bigpern23

Trade deadline is today. I got offered Trout and Chapman for Albies (a late-round keeper next year), Soler (a last-round keeper) and Moustakas. I have depth at 2b with Torres and Muncy also on the roster, and need an OF bat. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this deal?

7. outofplace

If you are in contention for a championship, I think you have to take it.

8. bigpern23

I'm in first place. Guy offering the trade is 3rd.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unless you think Chapman will put you over the top in saves -- which is a crapshoot category -- you can't give away Albies and Soler right now. They are tearing the shit out of the ball. Soler has 2 more homers today. Albies has 3 4-hit games in his last 5 and has gone nuts since the break.

10. Songbird

With today's stats included:

Soler: 35 homers, 85 RBIs, 67 runs

Trout: 39 homers, 91 RBIs, 91 runs

Trout has Soler on average and OPS but those 2 stats are negligible for these purposes.

Albies is at 18 homers, 65 RBIs, 78 runs, 11 stolen bases.

11. Songbird

Didn't think Moustakas was having this kind of season: 27 homers, 63 RBIs, 66 runs.

So to get Trout and Chapman you'd be giving up 80 homers, 213 RBIs and 211 runs.

Unless you mean Matt Chapman ... and in case you are ... I'd still probably keep Soler and Albies.

12. bigpern23

Sorry, yes, it's Matt Chapman. I haven't accepted yet. I'm in agreement with you, Songbird. The difference between Trout and Soler isn't big enough to make up for the loss of Albies this year, and moving forward. I'm trying to see if I can get it done without including Soler. I'd like to add Trout to my OF, which is super thin, rather than replacing one of my guys who's raking.

If I can somehow add Trout, I'd be running him out there with Acuna, Soler and Marte, with Tauchmann on the bench.

Draft saved Draft deleted