1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Walmart turn into America's loony bin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Two of the states don’t fit the education and violence parameters of the post anyway.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Better to keep the lunatics in one location, easier for normal people to avoid. Our local suburban mall has become significantly less desirable once they made it a destination for urban and regional mass transit. Not just the quality of people who come have lessened but the quality of merchandise has been reduced. SOme of the better stores have been replaced. There’s now more sneaker stores and schlocky jewelry stores than quality clothing stores. The Nordstroms is more like Nordstrom Rack than the original retailer. That’s probably a function of both more online shopping and the decline of retail physical stores but its apparent in the differences in customers in big box locations within 2 miles o themall , but without mass transportation

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Why don't you say what you really mean instead of hiding behind euphemisms?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You made me check. You are correct that my wording was misleading. I have amended the previous post. One Wal Mart Trumpist state, Kansas, has a higher college grad rate than the national average. One Wal Mart Trumpist state, Nebraska, has a lower gun death rate than the national average.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I would imagine most of not all of those Walmarts were built before Trump ever thought about running for president, so what does that have to do with the price of green apples? And there are a lot of poor minorities who need Walmart because it's affordable. I go there for vitamins, toiletries and over the counter medicine. Good prices on soda and beer also. I wouldn't buy meat or produce there.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I know there are a lot of strangely dressed people in a Walmart. But the weird behavior seems to be amped up lately.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Grad rates of inhabitants? Or grad rates of those who originate from those states?

In those two states - frankly in many rural states - you see a lot of brain drain. Some of it is avoidable, or would be if social policies changed. Some of it just isn't, because it's not where certain kind of work is, or likely will ever be. Silicon Valley is where it is.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

OK...I'll say it. Two suburban shopping malls in my area closed because the gang-banger content got too much and big-box/anchor stores pulled out because they were losing customers. The Friday and Saturday night mall rats were just hanging out, not spending money, and jacking people in the parking lots and shop-lifting. And it's not a race thing. It's about green, not black and white.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There isn't any question Walmart is a key shopping center for all kinds of people of a certain lower socioeconomic rung.

Certain goods, that almost all of us use, are cheaper there.

10. tapintoamerica

I'm going by Census bureau estimates of July 1, 2018 population. American Community Survey, I think. Did it a few months ago.

11. tapintoamerica

Just to note: In this post, we have unintended references to two decent movies.

12. tapintoamerica

Not really about Trump. It's about the people Trump and his klan appeal to. You could sub GOP for Trump if you like, but I prefer Trumpist because the party has rolled over for a racist tyrant.

Here are the national rankings in gun deaths for the 10 states with the most Wal Mart properties per capita. (The lower rank, the higher gun death rate).
    Nebraska 11th
    Kansas 28th
    South Carolina 41st
    Arkansas 42nd
    New Mexico 43rd
    Missouri 45th
    Oklahoma 46th
    Mississippi 46th
    Louisiana 48th
    Alabama 49th

Don't know how many guns used to kill people in these states were actually purchased at Wal Mart, but it does look rather intriguing.

Draft saved Draft deleted