1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Walmart turn into America's loony bin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You've seen The People of Walmart, right?

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Think I heard on the radio this morning there was a near-miss at a Walmart in Springfield, Missouri.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have a co-worker that in staff retreats and such, when you have to give the dopey "one interesting fact about yourself," says he's never set foot in a Wal-Mart. And he's 40 years old from middle America, not like Africa or somewhere there wouldn't be Wal-Marts. I really envy that fact.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The late B. Goff would argue that, by definition, a near miss is a hit.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of Walmart at all. But in some smaller towns/cities it is the only option. I have been in some very nice ones (Laramie, for example) and some very crappy ones (north Rapid City). And obviously you are going to get a much-more economically diverse clientele at a Walmart compared to a Macy's, Wegman's, or even the Targets I've been to.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Such a bizarre story. Kid straps up with bullet-proof vest, automatic rifle strapped to his back, 100 rounds of ammo and a handgun. Walks into the Wal-Mart and just saunters about, with the handgun in one hand and an iPhone in the other, taking video. People lose their shit, and an off-duty fire fighter who has a CCW permit pulls his handgun and holds it on the kid until police arrive. The only thing the kid technically did illegal was "disturbing the peace."

I've tried to figure out what I would do if I was driving in the parking lot and saw the kid armed up and walking toward the store. I can't say I wouldn't try to run him down with my car.

lakefront and Liut like this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In many small towns, WM is the de facto town square.

10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

This is true. I’ve lived in a few small towns and Walmart is like the Friday night hangout. Brings out all sorts of riff-raff.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have never been in one either, except when I represented them in a class action case about 15 years ago and had to visit stores to conduct interviews and get a feel for some of the allegations. Happy not to visit going forward.

Tweener likes this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I fukin banked at Wal*Mart at one of my earliest jobs.
    The townspeople called it "the Mexican Wal*Mart" because of its location (and mine, at the time).

Draft saved Draft deleted