1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular places you have no desire to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Aug 8, 2019.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Oh God, yes. Cairo. My parents have a knack for bringing disaster with them. Let's go to Egypt! OH NOW WHAT'S THIS? THE ARAB SPRING? I have spent considerable amounts of time and anxiety trying to lift them out of harm's way from afar, and they come home in their khakis and pith helmets without a care in the world, giddily planning their next adventure.

They're off to Portugal soon. I am telling you that trouble is coming there. Stay away.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Lived there for a couple of years. All saccharine and meth.

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Canadian side is a cheesy tourist-trab chain-establishment hell completely devoid of charm. Don’t enoy it much at all other than looking at the actual falls. Still miles better than the NY side. Niagara-on-the-Lake, on the other hand, is a beautiful place with great nearby wineries (though the Wayne Gretzky winery/distillery puts out garbage product).

maumann likes this.
  4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I've had multiple people tell me the trick is to make sure your fingers never touch your lips. Sticking to sealed, bottled water probably helps, too. It's certainly on the more affordable end of places I'd like to go, but I can understand having second thoughts -- especially if you're a woman.

typefitter likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No desire to go anywhere in Africa. Just no.
    International wise, my brother in law went to Australia some years ago and said it was awesome. I'd like to see London.......Germany......definitely Ireland-Scotland.....maybe Spain.
    Been to Old Mexico. I'd go back. Been to Vegas and loved it. Never been to California.......Me and wife want to take 2 weeks and do San Francisco, LA, San Diego. Never been to Phoenix.....(I LOVE HOT WEATHER.) Never been to New Orleans. Been to South Florida for a week over Spring Break back in 2014......that was "interesting."
    Want very much to see NYC-Boston-Chicago. Never been.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The movie The Florida Project is based in Orlando, in the shadow of Disney.

The movie will stay with me for a long time.

SFIND likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Scotland is my favorite place in the world that I've been to so far. My parents loved Spain, and were more impressed and in love with Germany than they anticipated.

8. WriteThinking

You can have typefitter's ticket, apparently...

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

No, I like @Michael_ Gee. I'd give that ticket to someone I never wanted to see again. PROBLEM SOLVED.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every place you cited is terrific to visit. Australia indeed awesome. London ditto. Spain double ditto. Boston is an excellent place for tourist visits as long as you visit between May 1 and Halloween. After that the weather ranges from dodgy to horrendous.

11. WriteThinking

I love that perspective, Moddy. I wonder if you've been to Paris, though? It seemed incomparable to me. One of my greatest hopes is to be able to go back when I can spend more time there.

12. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Cape Cod.

X-Hack and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted