1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MORE shootings ... this time in El Paso and Dayton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

El Paso PD might have stopped a second one.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, I think we would have. From the victims themselves, post-visit, if need be. I really think the El Paso/Dayton shootings could have been agents for change in many ways, for many people, and for this country, if everyone wasn't so set on just digging in and doing the same old things as always -- just tit-for-tat, no matter what "side" people are on. This was the victims' chance to set a different agenda, and to run the table as far as what they were going to say, and who was going to hear it, and hear about it, even if not in real time.

Instead, they opted for saying nothing, and so, everyone else, from Trump on down to these people's next-door neighbors (to their houses, and to their countries) will hear nothing. And nothing will change.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Tough day for Trumpists. Deprived of another slaughter of those damned brown people and the resulting bump in sales of the guns they embrace.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And another one averted:

Armed man arrested at Missouri Walmart

There actually has been greater vigilance at Walmart stores in the wake of last week's events, with employees and customers alerting more readily to potential problems, and with law enforcement responding quickly when called, as well as making periodic drive-throughs in parking lots, by design, I'm sure.

This really is getting scary, though, given the potential for copy-cats, and the fact that Walmart stores can be magnets for low-lifes, anyway.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dressed to the gills in fatigues with body armor and the whole bit.
    To be fair, this was in Missouri, so probably thought it was still Halloween.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Add to the list: a ban on body armor for private citizens.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I guess that's where a Red Flag law is meant to intervene.

Which is fine - but then you're sending cops to some nut job's house to confiscate their weapons at great risk to everyone's safety.

I'd rather the unstable not be able to buy a weapon in the first place.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah - I was gonna say ... by "fired it," you mean you turned off the hold fire button and let it do its thing.

Turning off CIWS before - say - a friendly helicopter comes to land on the ship is pretty important ....

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

An FC buddy of mine said, "You want to fire the CIWS?" "Sure." Show up. "When we tell you, push that button." Push it. From topside I hear "brrrrrrrrrrrr." End of evolution.
    Well, that was somewhat less than exciting.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

There's a console - I don't think in CIC? Maybe in the CIWS control room? - where you can use the fixed hand controller (it's not a joystick, damn it!) and pan left and right and see things on the IR scope, but I'm pretty sure there's no manual-aim-pull-the-trigger functionality.

I've seen lots of videos of Phalanx but I've never heard the buzz in person. I'd sure like to someday.

What was your navy job?

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have no idea how the open carry stuff plays out. Like, if I saw someone with an assault rifle walking into a Wal-Mart, I'd get the fuck out and call the police. But I guess it's legal in some places? I have no idea how you're supposed to determine whether someone is just a plain-old asshole gun nut or a mass shooter until they begin shooting.

Draft saved Draft deleted