1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Reckon those folks are Team Trevor now.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The level of angst about this strikes me as very strange. The kid has a national championship ring as a back up and led his team to a playoff spot. Unless we are literally talking about giving the kid a ring so he can sell it off for money, why exactly would he want the thing? His team made a decision that slapped him in the face when he left. Why would you want a memento of what they did?

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The Dabo-Bryant relationship is a strange one. On one hand, he stuck with the kid and his somewhat limited game throughout 2017, overcoming everyone‘s predictions one of the more talented back ups would eventually take that job. On the other hand, that coaching staff was trying to shorten his career and his time taking up a scholarship from his first game. Good on him for not being pointlessly shitty about it though.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not likely. Consider that the stadium's next-door neighbor is a facility named after Strom Thurmond. I suspect this is the fan base of a klan that rejoiced when Bryant was replaced and still found time to rip him for leaving.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Neat.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Said that and said he'd get out of coaching if they ever started paying players.

Swinney is a plantation owner.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Webster and Matt1735 like this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's Georgia. He probably won the Cop of the Year award.

10. tapintoamerica

Numerically speaking, I'm guessing a lot of the Northeast transplants to Atlanta retain their professional team fan roots and become Georgia fans because they hear about the Dawgs so much.

11. tapintoamerica

I don't know the specs, but I'm guessing it's not so much that he wanted the ring; it's that he is offended by the public and forceful rejection.

I don't blame the guy for leaving. Think about it. You know you're out. You've been replaced and your time is short. You know the team is headed to the championship game, which is in early January. For some schools, I suspect, it occurred on or near the day in which you had to enroll and register for spring 2019 classes. Awfully risky to say you'll stay the course with Clemson when doing so clearly limits the number of schools to which you'd have a chance to transfer.
    Some Clemson Trumpists are asking, "Why couldn't he be like Jalen Hurts?" Well, Jalen Hurts wound up at Oklahoma, which accepted registrants for the spring semester through Jan. 13.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted