1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As fans, how much do we root for the laundry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by maumann, Aug 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Can you tell me the last time a rookie of the year was a free agent the following year.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’m actually in the same place. My sports tree of who I root for is at a point where not even Charlie Brown would want it.

I credit it to not being in a newsroom and not covering teams. It’s tough to want to follow this shit when it means nothing. Part of the reason I still hang out around this place (and enjoy it) is because there is some knowledge and understanding of sports outside of what is shoveled out there right now.

My “fuck it” moment was at a Christmas party at my house three years ago. We were talking football, no one really knew what I used to do for a living, and four out of the five “football” fans had never heard of Bobby Hebert. We were in metro Atlanta.

My wife, god bless her, doesn’t care about sports,which makes my not caring easier. Though, she laughs at parties when I start talking sports because I never watch anything at the house. My response is “well, we get a daily paper at our house every morning and I read it.” Oh where was I? #getoffmylawn

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    maumann and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cycling-
    I would rather talk about the Hebert-era Saints than anything that's going on in the league right now.
    It's not all a function of middle age. I still love the books and movies I loved as a kid.
    I just don't give a damn who wins or loses the games.
    It's like falling out of love with somebody, it doesn't happen overnight.
    I suppose I could get reinvested in it if somebody would point out where the fun in this stuff is anymore. Pick any league.

I want to see the game played, governed, officiated, analyzed and written about well.
    That's where I'm at with fandom right now.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny - I see this thread as "A's fans...." and if you are an A's fan you absolutely root for the laundry. If you like an A's player, wait a season and he'll be on another team.

maumann likes this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Nothing will ever compare to how much I (we?) rooted for teams as kids when we first discovered sports through our early 20s.

Working in this business definitely changed me. Oh, I still root for teams I grew up with and adopted later. But the combination of getting older, wiser and seeing the sausage made changes things a lot.

I still love going to a game as a fan. It’s the only non-scripted drama we have in person and on TV.

Still love my laundry, my teams.

But as long as I’m still in the biz, now I root for the best story. Be great. Be awful.

Just don’t be boring!

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Laundry. Born in Bay Area, so root for most Bay area teams. When I felt it was time to drop a baseball team (too much time trying to keep track of both), I dropped the A's. The Raiders dropped themselves off my list with the LA move, were slowly working their way back on, then, Viva, Las Vegas.

One exception: During my time in Arizona, felt I should start following at least one team there. No way it was going to be the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals and the Coyotes were hot messes at the time. So I rooted for the Suns in the midst of the Nash-D'Antoni era. Was easy to let them go when I moved AND Sarver started gutting the team.

ChrisLong and maumann like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Laundry. Have rooted for the Reds and Bengals most of my life, though I think my Reds fandom will somewhat diminish after this year when Marty Brennaman retires. And I just want to see the Bengals in one more Super Bowl before I die ... yeah, I know.

I root for my alma mater and have season basketball tickets, but I can't tell you who the starting five are. It's solely about feeling like I'm 20 again.

Deskgrunt50 and maumann like this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My wife can name 1 (former) football player, 0 baseball players, 0 basketball players, 1 (former) golfer --- because there's a tea named after him in the grocery store --- and perhaps a dozen tennis players.

maumann, HanSenSE and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The worst thing about working as a sportswriter is losing your ability to hate a team. The Broncos are about the only team I really loathe, going back to their gift win against the Raiders in the playoffs some 40 years ago.

maumann likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Similar story here, except it's L.A.
    There was no bigger Dodgers fan than me. Then I started covering them and they lost a lot of luster. Then, the Frank McCourt era, and they lost all of their luster. And I moved to Orange County.
    Loved the Rams, and they moved. Covered a few games. Saw Georgia in person treat people like crap. People here are so excited about them now. I watch, but I'm not a Rams fan. They moved, fuck 'em.
    For me now, it's Ducks, Angels and Trojans.
    As to the question, it's the laundry.

cyclingwriter2 and maumann like this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Talk to me sometime then. There was a team before the Carolina Panthers came into existence. Problem is, it was the Saints' treatment of Sam that changed things a lot.

Pat Swilling wanted out ... different story there. And why was it that Eric Martin could make all the difficult catches, yet whiffed a couple too many that Hebert put right into the breadbasket. And Dalton Hilliard ...

3_Octave_Fart and maumann like this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It was a problem of economics for that team at that moment in time, same for the Fouts Chargers (and to some extent the Warner-led Rams).
    There was a recession going on. Free agency was coming in 1993. Defense meant something back then.
    You can put half a team together (superbly) and have a real shot to contend, or take your chances and try to be better than good on both sides of the ball.
    The Saints kept that defense together as long as they could. And then when they were busy fixing the offense, the defense fell apart - as so often happens.
    There are no superteams in the NFL.

I am far more interested in the really good teams that for whatever reason couldn't get it done than the over-and-out champion, like the Eagles.
    The 90s were full of really good teams that failed after sustained runs.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted