1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Call recording app ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DrummerWrites, Aug 7, 2019.

1. DrummerWrites

DrummerWrites New Member

Recent changes by Android have essentially rendered all call recording apps moot. I was wondering what others on Android phones might be using since this recent development. I freelance and often talk to sources around the country only via phone.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Really? I haven't read anything about that anywhere else. Automatic Call Recorder is still working on my Android.

In the days before these apps, I put the call on speakerphone and recorded with a digital recorder.

I also used CallTrunk, but it looks like that company no longer exists. You had to pay them and then call their service, and then it dialed out to the number you wanted. You accessed your calls on their website.

3. DrummerWrites

DrummerWrites New Member

ACR is what I used and it worked until the most recent Android OS update. Now, the other party does not record, only your half of the conversation records.

4. jobless journo

jobless journo New Member

I had the same thing happen when I switched to a newer Android phone. ACR refused to work anymore. Try Boldbeast recorder. I bought the premium version, which works.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    maumann likes this.
  6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I'm using Total Recall on my Galaxy S7 with no problems ...

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I can’t find this one on the App Store

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

HA! In my early days, it was still possible to send audio to the station by unscrewing the top end of a payphone and attaching two alligator clips from a cord that usually connected to the earphone jack. We also could record with a coupler that fit over the receiver.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Someone suggested Temi for online transcription, which I thought did a great job until I found out it's 10 cents a minute after the trial.

Right now, I'm actually using Google Docs with the "voice typing" function on and repeating what I hear through the headphones out loud. It's stupid but easier than sitting through 35 minutes of an interview and typing word by word.

10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I use an app called Otter for transcription. It's free (as long as you don't go over 600 minutes of audio per month).

It's not perfect, but it'll take the audio file from the recorder app and transcribe in conversational format. You can get all the info, and then go back and listen to particular sections for precise quotes or to get better clarity if it missed something.

SFIND and ondeadline like this.
  11. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

The phone's OS update rendered the app's inoperable on that platform. The app maker will likely push through their own update. Modern problems.

12. DrummerWrites

DrummerWrites New Member

Thanks for the tip on Otter! That is a wonderful option for in-person interviews and helping with transcription. I can even use that on a secondary device to record a phone interview.

Draft saved Draft deleted