1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it, at least in the SEC, is the relative lack of pro teams. There is basically one pro sports city (New Orleans) in an 800-mile gap between Atlanta and Dallas, and two whole states (Alabama and Mississippi) with no hope of ever getting a legitimate pro team. You can throw Arkansas into that mix as well.
    On top of that, the colleges have much better traditions and histories than any of the pro teams that are there, and have also been around a lot longer.
    All of it turns most of the SEC teams into the de facto pro teams for their states. Whether you go to the school or not, you follow those teams and probably root for them growing up just like us Yankees would've rooted for the Giants or Eagles. Then, even if you don't go to college or go to a different school for some reason, they're still part of your DNA.
    There's also a decent chance that at some point you had a friend, family member or classmate play for one of those teams.

maumann and justgladtobehere like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, the only pro team in Alabama is the Crimson Tide.

UPChip and maumann like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Liberty is bent on becoming the Protestant Notre Dame and sees a window of opportunity with Baylor down.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Baylor went to a bowl last year, and received top 25 votes pre-season this year, FWIW.

Edit: Liberty did beat Baylor in 2017, when the Bears were a dreadful 1-11.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I miss the Elon Fightin' Christians. Although the N.C. Wesleyan Battling Bishops are a pretty good replacement.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mississippi State probably won't win the SEC West, but they won the schedule release video game.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Swinney took an exceedingly high road last year with Bryant, if you’re asking people in the football community.

What libertarian sportswriter twitter thinks doesn’t matter much.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

People in the football community are sociopaths. I wouldn't trust one of them to watch my dog for 2 hours, let alone my kid.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering he qb'd the team to wins that kept them in the hunt for an NC, and considering some of the crap Clemson spends money on for the football team - I'm kind of surprised a booster hasn't offered to pony up for a ring for Bryant.

Draft saved Draft deleted