1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular places you have no desire to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Aug 8, 2019.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I agree on LA. I have no interest in going to any all inclusive beach type place. Hawaii looks pretty but it would be way, way down any travel list. I have no interest in visiting any Asian country as I don't love the food and the art and history isn't anything I care about. If I never visit Florida I will consider my life successful on some level. I have been to Vegas a couple of times but that was for summer basketball when I was coaching HS. I would return if I had a reason and maybe even just to go for a couple days but I don't gamble and I can't drink all day and night for 5 days like I used to so it doesn't seem that fun anymore. New Orleans was never high on my list as it seems dirty and sleazy but the food keeps calling me and we are getting more and more into live music the last few years so I anticipate we will visit soon (so perhaps some of these other spots will eventually be moved from the shit list to the visit list).

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The most jet lagged I have ever been was in Hawaii. I was in South Africa for work. Then I had to go to Hawaii for work. The flight from Johannesburg to Atlanta was, at least at the time, the longest commercial flight in the world: 17 hours. Then home for an overnight, then a long-ass flight to Hawaii. Which is exactly twelve hours ahead (or behind? I have no idea) of South Africa. Day for night, and night for day. I was delirious. I'm not sure I was right again for a month.

OscarMadison, maumann and CD Boogie like this.
  3. typefitter

On the subject at hand: I will never return to Brazil. I have never hated a country more. I've since turned down work there several times. Nope. Not going back.

Can't think of many other places I wouldn't go.

OscarMadison and Gutter like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Spent a few days in Hawaii on the way from three-plus years in the Far East as a young dude.

Would love to go back ... maybe see what the islands not named Oahu are like.

Never understood the fascination with Florida. Other than seeing the Kennedy Space Center and a little bit of Disney, it was eight months of determining that I'm not obsessed with going back.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Seventeen hours on a plane sounds like hell for me.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. typefitter

On the way there, I had a middle seat. Now I can do anything. I'm bulletproof.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have been to and liked most of the places cited here. Haven't been to China, love to go. The one thing I've never been interested in as a traveler isn't a place, it's a mode of travel. Can't imagine ever being on a cruise ship. Thousands of strangers you can't avoid. Also, my parents went on several cruises in their retirement and got real sick both times. Hardly an endorsement.

OscarMadison and X-Hack like this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What did you dislike so much?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife is the same way on tropical/beach locales. I'm glad I got to Hawaii as a kid on a family vacation.

I'm not against many places, I'm more against camping and roughing it for an extended time. I'll do one night in a tent and then I want a roof over my head.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

India sounds like it will kick your ass, and it heartily will for the first few days, but it will also show you how much you've got and how good your life is.
    Fictitious entry: Westworld. I would be more of a Roman World guest.

maumann likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Israel. As a Jew (however skeptical) I know that I am supposed to want to go and just wait until I’m there, etc. And my now (gasp) 14 year old has been pushing for us to use the miles that I’ve been hoarding for a family trip. But I just have no interest.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Places I wouldn't make an effort to go back to again ...

Key West
    New Orleans
    San Antonio
    Mackinac Island
    Niagara Falls
    Any Disney resort
    Joliet
    Memphis
    Las Vegas
    Phoenix

If I could avoid Atlanta at all costs, I would add that to my list.

Westworld edition (I plead guilty to watching the 1973 movie over 100 times): Medieval World. Too dirty for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted