1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular places you have no desire to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Aug 8, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I've never been to Los Angeles, and I really have no desire to go. I've been to California -- to Coachella -- but that's been the extent of my Cali exposure. LA never comes to mind as a place I want to visit. I've been to Hawaii, I've been to Paris, Ireland, Italy, Amsterdam. I've lived in London, Nashville, Richmond, Aspen, Connecticut...but I have no designs on ever visiting LA. I don't have an aversion to it, I just have no interest in that scene or what I perceive of it.

So that's one place.

2) The Holy Land. No thanks. I don't think I'd be able to relax enough to enjoy it.

3) India. Smelly, hot and dirty. That's all I picture. Oh, and people stacked on top of trains. I supposed if you airlifted me to see the Taj Majal, that'd be cool. Otherwise, not so much.

4) The new Yankee Stadium. Overpriced and gilded bullshit.

I realize such attitudes come off as prejudiced, which they are; but you have to make informed decisions about how you vacation or spend your leisure time. And what I've been informed of these locations, well, I don't wanna go.

So, what are some popular places you have no desire to visit?

OscarMadison and Tweener like this.
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

1) Anyplace in California other than the San Francisco area.

2) Hawaii

3) Boston

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll be at the new Yankee Stadium in a couple weeks. I'm finding even the cheap seats ate expensive.

Is Miami popular? Don't care to go there. Been to enough other places to know I'm not going to find enough different there to make it worth putting up with that heat.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Great call on LA. There are infinitely better cities.

My wife really would like to see Egypt and China but both make me nervous. Egypt because of tensions and China because of the language and food. I'm probably irrational about China but I have anxiety. Same with Egypt. I'm sure it's safe enough if you know where to go but still anxious.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The jet lag after getting back from Hawaii was brutal and lasted several days, so bad in fact that my ex and I both agreed that we wished we hadn't gone.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just an idle memory. When I covered baseball, the writers used to exchange opinions on their best/worst cities on the road. I live in Southern California and wouldn't live anywhere else. But as a visitor, downtown L.A. had to be the worst. Anywhere else in L.A. would be great, but not downtown.
    One guy -- might have been Kenny Hand from Texas -- said he loved coming to L.A. So why do you love it? He said, last time he rented a Corvette, drove through Santa Monica and took PCH all the way to Santa Barbara. Proved my point.

OscarMadison and Tweener like this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Any tourist spot in Western Europe. I don't want to spend my time in lines with a bunch of other foreigners.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I don't know if this counts since I've been there numerous times, but I don't care to ever go to Disneyland again.

Too crowded, too expensive and the Happiest Place of Earth is a misnomer because anyone there older than 10 is miserable.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So he loved LA because he could leave LA? Sounds about right.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

LA is a good one.

Add San Francisco and San Diego for me. All three just sound like places you spend money to do things a little differently than at home.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My wife has several conferences a year she could attend in Hawaii and she loves it there, has been several times without me. Always trying to get us to go, with the conferences as an excuse. I've never been super interested. Finally got me there this past spring. While I didn't hate it, I'm honestly just not a tropical/beach person and I could take it or leave it. I never got used to the time change while there, which meant weird sleeping and eating times, and I didn't love that (actually did OK getting back, surprisingly). She already found another conference there in October and having just been there and not being in love with it plus a busy summer, I just said no. I think she thinks I'm nuts and then I question myself when everyone else seems to love it so much. But just not for me overall.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have no desire to go anywhere hot .... no tropical paradise for me. My dream vacation would be to finally travel to Scandinavia (especially Sweden) and see the northern lights.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted