1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYU Beat Writer — The Salt Lake Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TexasVet, Aug 7, 2019.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

From journalism jobs.com

The Salt Lake Tribune, a Pulitzer Prize winner and Utah's largest daily newspaper, is seeking a beat reporter to cover Brigham Young University athletics.

This employee will lead our coverage of this football independent and member of the West Coast Conference. The BYU beat is one of the most important in our APSE award-winning sports department.

The qualified candidate must possess the full package — able to break news in a competitive environment, pull off compelling features and dive deep for investigative pieces, including those that may involve public records. The employee will be expected to regularly travel for road games. Beyond the day-to-day writing load, this employee will produce a weekly newsletter, have an aggressive and interactive social media presence and be expected to represent The Tribune on podcasts, radio and television.

The ideal candidate will have a minimum 3 years of daily newspaper experience. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Please send resumes and clips to Senior Managing Editor Matt Canham at (mcanham@sltrib.com).

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Is The Trib losing another one to The Athletic?

3. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Who left? I loved that place back in the day.

4. Tweener

Jay Drew is the current and longtime BYU guy. No announcement from him, at least that I can see.

The Utes guy left for The Athletic last month.

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Anyone know what it's like living in SLC/Provo? I'm assuming you'd have to live in or around Provo since it's not really that close to SLC.

AndrettiSJ likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Drew's been cranking out a lot of copy from fall camp.

7. Tweener

The paper was recently looking for an enterprise sports writer who would also be the lead Olympics writer. Wonder if the BYU opening means Jay is filling that role.

8. Tweener

Anyone interviewing for this one should ask about the paper laying off a third of its staff last year, the paper moving to a non-profit model and about the joint operating agreement with the Deseret News expiring next summer. All of that is a big deal.

Antwan Staley likes this.
  9. jjj2990

jjj2990 New Member

Jay is moving the Deseret News. He announced that on Twitter a few days ago.

10. Tweener

It’s the classic, “You showed me no loyalty last year when you laid me off after 29 years (before eventually hiring me back after others jumped ship), so I’m peacing out two weeks before football season starts.”

Hate to see it.

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

It's 45 miles between the two.

Yes, you can get coffee and booze.

The mountains are beautiful.

Sundays are very quiet.

I loved it there.

12. Tweener

It is a beautiful place. You have to not mind cold weather and snow, and you are pretty isolated from other large cities (Vegas is six hours away; Denver more like seven), but still a great place.

Draft saved Draft deleted