1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Ryan: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 7, 2019.

1. According to PFT, he'll hit two big milestones this year: 300 TD passes and 50,000 yards.
    10 seasons starting all 16 games.
    I also think with the changes in the game, these milestones are closer to old the 1,000 yards season from RBs. You are going to have more guys, more mediocre guys with long careers hitting them.

No brainer?
    I say no. But I have no doubt he gets in.
    I think there are only a handful of years where Ryan was among the top 5 QBs in the NFL.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There is no way he gets in. Regardless of his numbers, he won't have a Super Bowl and the younger voters will realize that QB numbers are largely meaningless now when a 4,000 yard passing season is common.

Tweener likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Matty Ice, now there's a handle that doesn't fit. He'll go in after Boomer Esiason, another guy who won an MVP, led a team to a Super Bowl loss, then slid back into the pack.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson are all shoo-ins to go in ahead of him from this generation. Andrew Luck, if he can stay healthy, will exceed him.

I put Ryan on the same level as like Matthew Stafford and maybe Cam Newton. Fine quarterbacks, but on the lower end of top 10 for their generation. That doesn't rate as a HOFer. I'd be shocked if he made it, unless of course they win a SB.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's a better way of putting it. When you can reel off 5 better contemporary QBs without a thought, they guy isn't a hall of famer.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I honestly thought this was a gag thread until I clicked it, which should give some indication of Ryan's actual chances. QBs in the Hall of Fame without an NFL, AFL or Super Bowl title include the likes of Sonny Jurgensen, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon and Jim Kelly. Ryan's not even on the same planet as those guys.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

There have been maybe 3 months of their careers that Eli was better than Ryan, and I can’t imagine a GM choosing him over Ryan.

7. CD Boogie

Fair point. But that's neither here nor there when discussing their HOF candidacies. Eli is a lock.

8. Guy_Incognito

That’s crazier than Ryan. If Ryan waits forever for Boomer, Eli should wait for plunkett.

9. CD Boogie

Eli played in New York and won two of the most memorable SBs ever in beating the Patriots. Unfortunately Plunkett's achievements don't have the same cache.

10. Guy_Incognito

That’s the worst HOF argument I’ve ever heard. Everyone who makes the case for him just says that he’ll get in, not that he should. Romo was a better QB and it wasn’t even close.

11. CD Boogie

That's the thing: I'm not necessarily arguing for his inclusion, just acknowledging the fact he will definitely get in. Signature wins, big stages: that shit carries a lot of freight with most Hall voters in any sport.

12. Guy_Incognito

But that’s my point. No 9ne actually thinks he should get in but everyone thinks he will. Who are these voters?

Draft saved Draft deleted