1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Makes me glad Gannett no longer owns my paper ... :)

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It sounds high when you're buying a business that doesn't make (much) money. On the other hand, I saw a Reuters story about what McClatchy did 10 years ago to try to solve its debt problem:
    - U.S. publisher, McClatchy Co (MNI.N), is changing key aspects of its debt agreements in a bid to stay afloat as plunging advertising revenue endangers its financial health.

McClatchy plans to exchange $1.15 billion worth of existing debt for cash and new debt.

The new debt comes with a higher interest rate of 15.75 percent versus about 5.0 percent to 7.0 percent on existing obligations, but allows the publisher to pay it off several years later.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In other words McClatchy can't pay off or roll over the existing debt. So they have to pay exorbitant rates until they go in Chapter 11.

HanSenSE and Fran Curci like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Which newspaper? :)

cubman and sgreenwell like this.
  5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Nicely played.

cubman and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

8. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gatehouse stock had been about $10 a share even with a dividend of a $1.52 a share. Gatehouse they would cut the dividend to .76 cents a share. So the stock has dropped to $7.50 am has the last couple of days. At >76 cents a share in dividends it will take 10 years to cover the stock if you buy it at $7.50.

Many are looking at the term so the Apollo loan and thinking Gatehouse will not make it to the end of the five year term on the loan. I don't. That's why I have shorted the stock.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

LOL. I should have written not-for-profit.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Someone smuggled in a pica pole and all the kids freaked out.

Draft saved Draft deleted