1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State beat writer | The Oklahoman (Oklahoma City)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ryan_Sharp, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Ryan_Sharp

Ryan_Sharp New Member

The Oklahoman is hiring a strong storyteller and passionate journalist – with experience covering major-college athletics – to cover Oklahoma State University athletics for our award-winning sports section and website, NewsOK.com. Our next OSU beat writer will engage readers across all platforms by:

* Breaking news on one of the most interesting universities in the country;

* Writing memorable features, enterprise, project and game stories;

* Making our blogs must-reads throughout the day;

* Participating in podcasts and videos;

* Building deep relationships with sources and readers using social media and old-fashioned tools like conversation;

* Contributing to and collaborating with a team of journalists to serve a readership captivated by sports and how we cover it.

If you’re committed to all this and helping us get better, please send a cover letter, writing samples and examples of your best digital work to:

Ryan Sharp
    Sports Editor
    The Oklahoman/NewsOK
    100 W. Main, Suite 100
    Oklahoma City, OK 73102
    rsharp@oklahoman.com

nafselon and MiamiBoy like this.
  2. Adam94

Adam94 Member

This job was posted in November or December 2017, I think. Did they hire someone then who's now leaving?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just remember - Go After HIM! He's a Man!. Not a Kid. Also: Candidates who are parents with a child are highly encouraged to apply.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Wonder if they are actually filling this one? Had an ad on Monday via Indeed, and announced new preps writer a mere hours later!

5. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

They did in fact hire someone. But seeing as the person departing has yet to make an announcement, I don't think it's fair of me (or anyone else who knows, for that matter) to "scoop" where he/she is heading before they publicly reveal it themselves.

Doc Holliday and PaperClip529 like this.
  6. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

7. jeffpatterson

jeffpatterson New Member

We've made a hire.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fuck GateHouse.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So that's one position the Oklahoman cut. Go all in on the Sooners and shrink the coverage area

10. Brutal. That happened to me a couple of years ago. Feel awful for the guy.

cake in the rain likes this.
  11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

What the absolute fuck?

Of all the horrible, unconscionable things done by newspapers and chains, this kind of stuff has to rank right up near the top. How can people making these decisions - and whoever has to call the new hire to say "um … never mind" - even sleep at night?

Tweener likes this.
  12. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

Disappointing to hear, I work in upstate New York too and he did some great work on kid going to Syracuse. Hopefully he lands on his feet sooner than later.

Draft saved Draft deleted