1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

More On.

2. Sounds like E. Elliott is taking a cue from LeVeon Bell's holdout, and plans to sit out as long as it takes until he gets a new deal.

smh

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

These are different situations. Elliott is under contract through 2020. Bell has been franchise tagged. Also, Le'Veon Bell lost an entire year and still didn't get what he wanted and the Gurley deal looks like a disaster right now. Maybe Jones is foolish enough to cave, but he shouldn't. Of course, Bell had to Tweet about it because what we really needed was commentary from an idiot.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What gives Zeke some leverage is the Cowboys don't really have a capable backup like the Steelers did with Conner.

Not having Bell didn't really hurt the Steelers at all. Not having Zeke will cripple Dallas' offense.

5. outofplace

Fair point, but Conner hadn't proven he could do that before last season. Not having Bell looked like a huge problem going into the season and it took the Steelers a while to fully trust him. Conner only had 32 touches as a rookie in 2017 and he struggled as a blocker. He improved tremendously in that area last season and I think 2018 was also the first time he was all the way back from the torn ACL and the cancer treatments he went through at Pitt.

6. outofplace

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Good, because fuck Jerrah.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honest question - are the Cowboys really in a window where they could win an SB with Elliott, Prescott and Cooper? I don't think so. I'd put them behind the Saints, Rams, Bears, Eagles and maybe even with the Seahawks in the NFC alone and I don't see them being on top of that heap in the next five years.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think the recent history of the NFL is that unless you're the Patriots, if you have a couple elite players, you have a puncher's chance at a title. Like I'd personally have the Saints and Rams as the favorites in the NFC, but I wouldn't be surprised if anyone else from your group made it to the Super Bowl, along with the Cowboys and maybe even the Falcons and Panthers. Since the NFL playoffs are one-and-done, the biggest thing is just getting in them. (ETA: The NFC East could also be complete dog shit, with the Redskins and Giants providing four "easy" wins for the top two teams.)

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The difference? Jerrah didn't have a Plan B.

The Steelers did all along. They knew James Conner was a human battering ram with deceptive speed since he played at the home stadium on some Saturdays. They drafted Jaylen Samuels last season ... I'm more than a little familiar with his versatile skill set (and, yes, I see more than my share of ACC football ... not one defensive coordinator or player wanted to bring down Conner again).

Pittsburgh had power running and a scat back who can catch the ball set up at a fraction of the cost - and less than a fraction of the headache - of LeVeon Bell.

Dallas? They keep signing Alfred Morris as some sort of insurance policy when Zeke goes off the rails for whatever reason.

Advantage: Pittsburgh. Not. Even. Close.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That was the most boring Hard Knocks season premiere ever, which might be the most surprising thing ever about the Raiders

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Tony Pollard could be that guy for the Cowboys. He is getting strong reviews so far in camp

Draft saved Draft deleted