1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I see on Twitter this morning that the Athletic UK has signed some pretty good soccer writers.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They've even got Watford coverage!

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What's rotten about this? When you sign up, it says you get one year at the introductory rate and that your credit card will be charged the full $59.99 the next year going forward. It's listed right there when you sign up. It's not sneaky. It's standard practice.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Ah, so that's who got James Pearce to leave the Echo after like 15 years.

About damn time. They hadn't had a single article all summer after Melissa Reddy left for ESPN.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Daniel Taylor, Michael Cox and Raphael Honegstein are all really good gets.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not only standard practice, but absurd for companies NOT to do.

MNgremlin and FileNotFound like this.
  7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

What's rotten? A good company would notify you that your introductory rate was about to expire and that, as of a certain date, if you don't cancel you will be charged a certain amount. Plenty of companies do this. I had the same experience with The Athletic last September. I got no warning that the introductory rate was expiring and was suddenly charged. I've forestalled this happening again this year. I've already canceled, and it becomes effective when that one year period ends next month. Then I'll wait out the likely cheaper rate. If I have to do it with another family member's email and name, that's what I'll do.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Newspapers do this all the time. The intro subscription rate expires and they bill the new amount without notice. Cable companies do the same. Bills just jump after the introductory rate expires.

Other companies, such as SI and AAA, send out notices that the subscription is ending soon and if you don't cancel you will be charged the new rate.

My Athletic subscription ends this month. I have cancelled and I'm waiting for an offer. Like Chris Long, I'll pay $30 again for the year, but not $60.

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I tried to cancel my Boston Sports Journal subscription but I think I accidentally called Bedard’s house when I tried to find their billing department.

wicked and justgladtobehere like this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Honestly, the inclusion of Premier League puts this over the top, value wise, for me. I was already enjoying a lot of the content, but it wasn't always easy to find quality content on the non big-six PL clubs. I was already following the guy, Adam Leaventhal, who is covering Watford, so I'll be happy to read some in-depth stuff on the club. It's also been nice to have one-stop shopping for my weird variety of teams -- Caps, Suns, Orioles, Skins -- rather than trying to cull together subscriptions to several newspapers to read about all of them. $60 bucks a year is $5 a month. It's a worthwhile investment, in my eyes.

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

That’s true. I know that The Athletic doesn’t want to adopt shitty practices from the newspaper industry, but this is one of them. One of the most frequent complaints we get, which causes people to cancel their newspaper subscription, is the poor customer service and renewal without notification.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I recently purchased a 99-cent, three-month sub for an out-of-town newspaper just to read a few things behind a paywall. After three months, of course, a higher rate kicks in. So I set a calendar notice from about 85 days out to cancel. The newspaper was very up front about the terms. I think the consumer has to bear some responsibility to cancel if they don't want to get stuck with the higher rate.

MNgremlin, wicked and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted