1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Saw QTs movie today and slow at times but really well put together. Leonardo and Pitt were enjoyable to watch as we’re Robbie and some surprises. By then end it all made sense to me. I wonder how they get all the cars and signs of 69 together.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Also saw Once Upon...Hollywood. It was ... OK. Well acted. Pitt and Leo were good.

It was badly in need of an editor to chop 25-30 minutes.

Hard to believe Pitt is 55. He looks a lot like Redford in his prime.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Been watching A LOT of Once Upon primers and interviews and what-nots and am amazed at how the main stars interact with the hosts depending on whether Tarantino is part of the conversation.

In this one, Tarantino sucks the oxygen out of the room and the others are mostly WTF half the time. Watch their body language as Tarantino rambles and rambles and rambles. Leo, Pitt, and Robbie are so uncomfortable most of the time. It's like this in several other interviews.

Now watch Leo and Pitt and Robbie in this one, minus Tarantino ... totally chill and loose and smiling/laughing and engaged and engaging.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At Cannes, Farah Nayeri of the Times told Tarantino in no uncertain terms that he cut off Robbie's tongue even though she brought a strong resume to the movie and Tarantino responds with vigor and vinegar.

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Once Up a Time ... In Hollywood: 4/5

Really enjoyed it. DiCaprio and Pitt's relationship and chemistry were amazing. I see Oscar nominations in their future. I was also impressed by the soundtrack and set design and production. The film really immerses you in Hollywood circa 1969-1970, with sights and sounds. As others might have said, the plot isn't there. This isn't a movie that really gets from point A to point B in a straight forward way. There are many moments where the film feels meta: Leo starring as Rick Dalton starring as Caleb. The multilayeredness of this acting really blew me away. If you're a Tarantino fan, I say go see it. This is way better than The Hateful Eight.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well he's making it about villains who actually existed, as opposed to fictional creations, so making them sexy in any way would be clipping the third rail.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The thing I've come to appreciate about Brad Pitt is, he doesn't have to be the star/leading man to make the movie better. He obviously can carry a movie (and he certainly helps carry Once Upon a Time, even though he shares the heavy lifting), but he can also shine in a bit part, like the Quaker carpenter in "12 Years a Slave," where he only got about 10 minutes of screen time.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

As others have mentioned OUTIH just looks fantastic. You could really feel the era dripping off the screen.

I’ll be interested to see it again when it hits streaming services. Might be one I like better the second time around.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Pitt's bit part stoner character in True Romance was hilarious.

bigpern23, Deskgrunt50 and garrow like this.
  10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Pitt was also outstanding in "Snatch." It was a supporting role at heart, but he stole the show in that movie.

bigpern23 and garrow like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

His performance in 12 Monkeys is woefully underrated.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t think he helped that movie at all. Stuck out in an odd way.

Draft saved Draft deleted