1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gawker.com go bye-bye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wicked, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That was horrendously long and uninteresting.

cake in the rain likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Part of Gawker's longstanding conviction that nothing is more important or interesting than Gawker.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Jesus, I just don't know where the rulebook lands any more.

We went through about 100 years of journalism where you weren't supposed to make yourself the story.

Then around 2008 or so, a lot of journalists suddenly decided the readership wanted an inside sniff of how the sausage is made.

And now, it's back to the start. What is it?

By the way, I've thought for quite a while that Wagner is an irritating one-trick pony. If she's not morally outraged over something, there's nothing left.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

She's Deadspin's latest Angry Young Person Who is Just So Fearless. Like the rest, she'll write poison for 18 months and then flame out because nobody wants to work with them.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Fuck man - Isn't it OK that there are outlets for both audiences? I think plenty of what Deadspin does is pedantic and stupid, but I find plenty of it interesting, too. I like reading about inside baseball from time to time. I don't think it's awful to have outlets that are watching the watchmen. I don't think we need 100 outlets doing it, but I also don't think we need 100 outlets, say, covering home Boston Red Sox games either.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t think Deadspin is watching the watchmen so much as it spreads distaste and despair.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Except former Gawker writers/editors have spread across liberal news sites like a disease. They always seem to hire each other. Wags will get another job, probably at Slate or HuffPo.

cake in the rain likes this.
  8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Which is ironic considering the premise of this piece is don’t hire your friends. What she means is hire me or my friends, if you hire yours its some kind of -ism

Batman and Regan MacNeil like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s just the nature of the online outrage biz. It’s like the MFA hustle.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I give her credit for absolute mercilessness with which she pounds minutiae.

But her indignation over something that has happened forever and continues to happen daily everywhere in corporate America leaves me with a very "Yeah?? And??" feeling.

SFIND likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wonder if Nick Denton is chomping at the bit now after Thiel's Dinner for Nazis ...

Draft saved Draft deleted