1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3_Octave_Fart and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have many contributors I'd like enshrined but would like to see Steve Sabol and Jim Tunney go in foremost.
    I also believe Amy Trask should be in the Hall of Fame.

3. Della9250

No official has been inducted, so I don't know if the committee will go down that road.

Sabol deserves one but I wonder if the committee will say that they put in his dad and so we are going to go with other candidates.

The Contributors and Coaches slots are going to be the most interesting since they are so limiting with 3 and 2 nominees respectively. With 10 Senior player nods, a good chunk of those will go to candidates most everyone will agree on.

I think one of the coaching spots will go to Coryell. I have no clue who the other coach will be. They could go super old school with Buddy Parker or make it more contemporary (Flores, Holmgren, Reeves, Coughlin, Shanahan, Johnson) since Coryell has also passed.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Harold Baines

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This thing was rigged to get one or two specific people in - maybe more - without the usual rigamarole. My guess is Goodell is pushing this so Tagliabue will get in. The "normal" selection Committee only gets an up or down vote on the slate which is determined on by a "special blue ribbon" committee outside of the "Normal" selection group.

6. Della9250

I don't think it's rigged at all.

I think they saw an opportunity to get more Senior players in before they die. The usual way doesn't clear up any of the backlog and the voters are putting in every Senior candidate nominated, it's just been a slow drip.

It is entirely possible that Tagliabue gets in but it wouldn't be unwarranted. He's been a mulitple time finalist so it's not out of left field.

As I pointed out before, I think the contributor category is going to be the most interesting of the three because they could go in just about any direction.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Tunney worked three Super Bowls as a referee. Jerry Markbreith did four. Terry McAuley, Pat Haggerty and Norm Schacter also did three. So I think it is difficult to differentiate Tunney from that group. If an official goes in I think it should be Ronn Gibbs, who did about 15 NFL Championship games in the 50's and 60's.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that the contributors added will be long time owners like Kraft. My guess is that the owners don't like all the attention going to others.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  9. Della9250

Considering the recent off-the-field news involving Kraft, I don't think he will be in the mix this time around.

He is the most logical next owner, however.

If I were guessing, the three contributors will be Tagliabue, George Young and Art Modell. They have all been multiple-time finalists in the last 15 years and aren't in yet.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Since we now have a thread for this, I resubmit my nomination
    The late, great Alex Karras

OscarMadison and Chef2 like this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Lancey-
    It's not just the Super Bowls worked and the reputation.
    Jim Tunney was also a sort of Forrest Gump of NFL history.
    Worked the Ice Bowl, the Dempsey kick, The Catch, The Fumble and the Fog Bowl, among others.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Jack Kent Cooke?

Draft saved Draft deleted