1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob McGinn's Website is on Hiatus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Jul 29, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

McGinn posted a note in May saying he was taking two months off and decide if he would run the website this season. Training camp has started and nothing is being posted.

2. Writer

Writer Member

Hope he is still going to write. Great football writer.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Did anybody check out the site last season? Was it just links to stories? Not many pics or ? Seems to me if he's not making much bank it'd be easy to fade away when working for yourself.
    If the $$$ aren't there I'd think he'd be phasing himself out. After all, even though he's the best, there are a lot of hassles covering sports teams nowadays, headaches he may not want any more.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Everything on the site was behind a paywall, and he promoted stories big-time through Twitter. If that model wasn't working, I wonder if it's because The Athletic took too much steam from him. He was basically doing a one-man, one-team Athletic at the same time that site was blowing up. McGinn would have been a perfect Athletic hire, considering who they were getting for other sports in other markets. It would have been as big a coup as getting Russo to cover the NHL/Wild from the Star Tribune, IMO.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great post, Kato. Excellent take, sir.

Draft saved Draft deleted