1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was out of town so I swore to my girlfriend I would watch some, but not all, of the episodes on my Kindle so that we could watch the ending when I get back. As I'm watching the Garden City episode, in between bouts of wanting to hit Jeff Sims with my car, it started to dawn on me that I'm not sure how much more I give a fuck to watch a show about glorified high school football. I cared about Sims because he's a phony Christian asshole and I hate those types. I have him saying, "I'm the 32nd winningest coach in junior college," like this matters some how. Dude, you're playing college football in a high school stadium. Check yourself.

I'm two away from finishing this season but I'm getting the impression that the reasoning behind Jason Brown being fired wasn't totally the, "I'm your new Hitler" comment. I think it's painfully obvious the guy isn't coaching material. Not head coaching material - coaching material, period. And when that comment hit the media I think they thought, "here's our chance."

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There’s no way they don’t do another season at some point down the road.

It’s a top streamer.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

BYM-
    I hear you on that. I liked the show because I've been part of that ecosystem, and the show wore me out for the same reasons.
    They went into the project with pure intentions, but many of these folks are just bad people.
    Kissinger once said the fights were so nasty in academia because the stakes were so low.
    Almost no one gives a shit about JUCO titles, yet Buddy and Sims are ill enough to use that to make or break people.
    And I do not believe Brown's playbook was stolen. He is poor enough of a coach to have a 2-8 season with decent talent.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What about same concept but an AAU basketball team? Or a juco hoops team?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely. I think it'd work for hockey too.
    Basketball might be best because you can really focus on the path of each guy.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Somebody else on Reddit caught this. They were also spot on when they said this "was most the JUCO thing ever."

[​IMG]

Chef2 and Batman like this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It would have to be one of those crazy senior A leagues in Quebec to get anything out of it.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think LCU is branching out to different sports moving forward. Did I read that here or hear it somewhere else?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There is already a great movie on that wild senior A loop in Quebec:

Les Chiefs - Wikipedia

There are lunatics in Canadian junior hockey but it is also very serious business and a season in the trenches would be compelling for other reasons.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it isn't plausible that Fort Scott got a hold of the playbook. The Greyhounds' defense was horrendous last season, yet they dominated Indy. I'm still kinda stunned they won the game at all, much less dominated it.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Agree.
    Even if you were looking at his coaching, period, without all the profanity. He did a very poor job.
    He completely mismanaged the QB situation. You can't play 4 quarterbacks in one game. Ask 100 successful coaches if a QB gets pulled because he threw one interception, and I'd say all of them would answer no. You can't tell the kid he is starting the game and he gets one play. They score a TD and he is pulled. He told the lefty he wasn't going to play and, oops, he's in there.
    Now, add in the temper, profanity and the verbal abuse. A coach/manager gets suspended for a game in baseball, basketball or hockey, it's 1 of 82/162. But in football, in this case, you have only 10 games. He was run from the game in which he cussed out the ref and was suspended for the next game. He missed 15 percent of the season.
    I think the AD knew she was dealing with a stick of dynamite. The president was a weenie who got sucked in by Brown's rhetoric.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The president reminds me the principal in Eastbound and Down.

Draft saved Draft deleted