1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Arby's having problems...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I was introduced by a St. Louisan. She said you need to order the roast beef rare. (Who would have guessed that was an option? It’s not mentioned on the menu.) My god, so good for the price.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Guess you’re driving to Olathe soon.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Will be in KC before the end of the year.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have heard of the Arby's Meat Mountain, but haven't tried it.
    [​IMG]

Two chicken tenders, slices of roast turkey, pit-smoked ham, corned beef, smoked brisket, Angus steak, roast beef, and pepper bacon.

Another must.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Last time I was there I had the Big Kahuna. Tremendous.

As an aside, the local Arby's had on its lettered sign "Arbyshires.com". (Arby's Hires) I thought that's an interesting name for a mythical land, Arbyshire.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think they are in Independence now, too.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Arby's is ok. The only fast food that ever consistently made me sick is White Castle.

When I was a kid in 1967, our family stopped at a White Castle while on the way back from our grandparents house.

About 90 miles from home when we made the burger stop. About 20 miles later the emergency bathroom stops began. We didn't get 10 more miles before somebody was saying, "daddy, stop!!" Took us about four hours to make the 90 miles.

That was 1967. In 1969, some strange reason, we make another White Castle stop. Similar results. Dad says, "that's it, the hell with White Castle."

Flash forward 27 years to 1996. I move to the Detroit area thick with White Castles. The locals assure me, "oh, it's great, you'll love it."

I figure, what the hell, they've had 27 years, maybe they've gotten their shit together. So I order a couple of their sliders.

On the 20 minute drive home, I've got that dull aching throb deep in my bowels of impending explosive diarrhea. I'm frantically searching for restrooms.

I get home, park the car, stagger into the house with my legs clamped together, and unleash Krakatoa on the toilet, where I spend the next three hours.

That's it. Three strikes you're out. Fuck White Castle.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've had White Castle once in my 44 years.
    Once was too many.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Krystal > White Castle. I’ve stopped at the one at the foot of Bourbon Street many times for a nightcapping sackful for the walk back to the hotel.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They're both trash. Arby's is OK, sometimes. Lion's Choice is butt, but in their case it's a failure in staffing than in ingredients. Have never had a pleasant Lion's Choice experience, despite several attempts at multiple locations.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I have found one redeeming quality for White Castle - when driving on long road trips, downing about a half-dozen sliders leads to searing and incessant abdominal pain.

I couldn't fall asleep if my life depended on it. So I'm fine to drive a good 20-hour stretch.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

We taste tested this for a columnist a few years ago. The chicken patty is just too damn dry. The rest is quite tasty, but the chicken makes it hard to chew.

Draft saved Draft deleted