1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seven Sportswriters Who

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Jul 23, 2019.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Agreed on Roy. He can write anything. Not many writers could become one of their country's foremost literary talents on hockey, national politics, art, and life in the bush. Of course he might argue those are all the same thing: being Canadian.

He's also a stunningly kind and good man.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Question for board Canadians.

In Great White North sports canon, how important is Dryden's 'The Game' ?

3. typefitter

I read it as a kid and still have my copy. I would say it's a classic of Canadian non-fiction, and probably the best book about hockey, but I'm super biased. I'm a huge fan of Ken Dryden. I think he's one of the most interesting athletes in history.

This is how he wrote about being part of a consistently winning team: “Sated by success, we have different expectations, and the motivations and feelings we get from a game have changed with them. Joy becomes obligation, satisfaction turns to relief, and the purpose of winning becomes less to win, and more not to lose.”

It's really good.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've had that book for many years. My favorite part is when he describes having a really bad game in which the Canadiens won anyway and it pushed him towards retirement because he thought he was so irrelevant he couldn't even lose a game for the team.

5. typefitter

The fact that he took a year off to study for the bar at, like, 26 or whatever it was... Can you imagine that happening today? He was a Hall of Fame goaltender for one of the great teams of all time. It's like Michael Jordan's baseball sabbatical but... nerdy.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Whitlock’s Chiefs columns: Ball State, Jeff George, I’m black. In any order.

A fucking hack.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's like if Ralph Wiley had a mediocre, disappointing intern.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think it's crazy to call it one of the four or five best sports books ever written.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bill Bradley's year as a Rhodes Scholar comes to mind as well.

typefitter likes this.
  10. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Speaking of Roy MacGregor, he had a big hand in Dryden's book. He officially served as editor, as I recall, but there are many people in the journalism game in Canada who think he was far more than that, shaping Dryden's thoughts into elegant prose. MacGregor, who is a close friend of Dryden and a supreme gentleman as Typefitter noted, always brushed off the idea.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure Dryden got plenty of editorial help from MacGregor, but the book is Dryden's.

Just as I'm sure Bouton got plenty of editorial help from Schecter, but the book is Bouton's.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

"Ball Four" is certainly written in Bouton's voice but why isn't the book Schecter's? Schecter had already shown that he was a proponent of more honest and realistic reporting and moving away from the idolatry, gee whiz sports writing that had dominated most sports pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted