1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonah Keri arrested for alleged spousal abuse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I hope we can all keep that poor family in our thoughts and prayers. Lord knows they need our prayers.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t see whining.

I do think the big metoo expose could wait a week or two. It’s still gonna be there after the disposition of the case.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't know him - just a few exchanges on social media over the years and I own a few of his books - and don't condone what he is alleged to have done.
    But the guy lost every gig he had going and I hope this doesn't get worse for him.
    We all have our issues and God help us if they ever become public fodder for the Deadspin commentariat and the like.
    I am trying to look at this as a father rather than a member of the outrage machine.

Liut likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We all have our issues, my issues have never led me to assaulting my wife. Would you look at this the same if you were the father of the abused?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I knew this would happen.
    I've watched this tactic derail 99 percent of these kinds of threads.
    We have courts and judges and juries and such to deal with those matters.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What tactic?

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Oops what a bad sentence. Talk to all the people who have been laid off by newspapers. A lot of them were in fact essential. Not their fault the CEO's need new boats and vacation homes and private jet rides. You can be totally essential and laid off. It's one of the many reasons newspapers are dead. I can't believe I read that sentence. Suits should be ashamed of all the essential journalists they've axed while they still have jobs in nonessential roles.

Liut likes this.
  8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Gee, my mistake, Fredrick. Go ahead and make yourself expendable then. We'll see how that works out for you.

Do you want to try to control what you can, or nah?

9. DSzymborski

DSzymborski Member

Jonah never covered a team on a day-to-day basis, as far as I can remember. I think, but am not positive, that he moved back to Montreal in 2017/2018. I think he was in Denver for a decade or so, but it's not like he covered the Rockies. While I lived in Baltimore and near Cincinnati, being nearby has been a convenience rather than a necessity. I'm never even in the same state as my employers either.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The suits have taken away everything. There is no more control.

11. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Keri turned down a huge offer from the Toronto Star to replace Rich Griffin as their baseball columnist. There might be a suit or two at the Star who gave out big sighs of relief recently.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

No doubt. That job would have been a curious fit. Jonah obviously knows baseball, but I wonder if he's ever been at the ballpark enough to develop the kind of source relationships you would need to be effective in that job. The Toronto Star is not Fangraphs, and three analytical columns a week would be too much for that audience.

Draft saved Draft deleted