1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer | TimesDaily (Florence, AL)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Jun 30, 2019.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

The TimesDaily, a 5-day-a-week publication in Florence, Alabama, is seeking a sports writer to cover University of North Alabama athletics., UNA is a Division I university that plays football in the Big South Conference while its other sports compete in the A-Sun Conference. This position also requires some preps coverage and office responsibilities. Experience covering a college or prep beat and/or having managerial experience is preferred.

Please submit a cover letter, resume and no more than five writing samples to gregg.dewalt@timesdaily.com or Gregg Dewalt, 219 W. Tennessee St., Florence, AL, 35630.

We are looking to move quickly on this hire.

The TimesDaily is a part of Tennessee Valley Media.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Writer

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

To replace Jeff McIntyre, a respected TimesDaily veteran who passed away last month.

Cool area. Good people at the TD. You could do a heckuva lot worse.

rb

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Mackin was the best.

Florence is a really cool spot, like rb said above. And this is a good gig, one that hasn't been open for maybe two decades. I know little about the owners, unfortunately. But the people left in the newsroom are good folks. You could, indeed, do worse. Far worse.

RonClements likes this.
  4. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

This one intrigues me. I'm already covering an FCS school with a solid following so Idk if this would be a lateral move. But it would be closer to my family. Anyhow, seems like it's getting good reviews, which is more than a lot of other places can say.

5. Boofus

Boofus New Member

It’s hard for me to imagine there are many people left in the business as good as Gregg. The TimesDaily does great work and the community loves sports.

I’ll reiterate this: Mackin was the best. You’d be filling big shoes, but it’s a great opportunity.

6. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Any update on this? They were to have their short list by the end of last week, apparently.

7. Mike Hebert

Mike Hebert New Member

Does anyone know if there's an update on this?

8. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

No clue. Didn't exactly move quickly as the ad stated. Was to have short list last week.

9. Boofus

Boofus New Member

The editor was in Hoover for SEC Media Days and then left for Big South Media Days, so that may be the cause of any delay if it’s still open.

10. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

My pipeline indicates an offer is in the hands of a potential hire.

11. Mike Hebert

Mike Hebert New Member

Thanks for letting us know.

Draft saved Draft deleted