1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Le Batard sitting out his own radio show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 22, 2019.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. He was writing about race in society when I worked at 1 Herald Plaza nearly 20 years ago.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If some ESPN talking head went on an extended rant about partial-birth abortion, half of the network talent would lose its mind, in real time, on Twitter. And then that person would be fired or suspended for a good long while.

So ESPN really had two choices when Skipper left. One, it could let the new person’s political sensibilities, whatever those were, determine day to day what was and wasn’t acceptable, understanding that, in today’s social media environment, social or politically conservative positions wouldn’t be acceptable at a place like ESPN. Or, knowing only certain opinions would be acceptable, it could do what it’s done, relieving Pitaro of the burden of having to decide what is and isn’t OK.

I think that’s what people didn’t appreciate. Skipper himself had to be, at times, the judge, and...why embrace that role?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I find it beyond pathetic that saying it's racist to tell people of color to "go back where you came from" is now "talking straight politics."

Like, basic human respect for black people and Latinos is somehow taking a political stand. THAT'S where we are now.

Fuck that. We should be better than that.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Making a statement in opposition to racism should be a non-partisan/bi-partisan/apolitcal thing.

Should it not?

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You’re new to this country, right?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wish. Then I'd be on welfare AND taking all the jobs.

Scoreboard.

swingline and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The airwaves would be much bettuh awff with this dildo off.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of Dan's but, damn, now I am.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This is the only way ESPN Radio can be even slightly interesting.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He wasn't discussing tax reform, or middle east nuclear deals. He was talking about a president of the United states telling American citizens to go back to their garbage countries.

I must be super duper smart, because I can delineate a difference.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Never get tired of our sj.com group who definitely DEFINITELY did not vote for Trump, yet somehow find a way to kinda, sorta defend him (or criticize his detractors) every week.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted