1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Le Batard sitting out his own radio show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

When he's discussing pop-culture stuff that is not sports related, I can see where you could disagree with him, and not get angry/upset about it.
    I don't know that it works that way when it comes to politics......especially something that has people fuming mad like this.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Chef-
    I want to be able to drink a beer at a barbecue without hearing about or being prodded to opine on Trump. I really yearn for that day.
    I know MLB Radio has a no-politics rule. They know very well fans want to get away from this.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He is pretty clear about his opinion on the Kaepernick situation and that reveals his politics. My impression is that he supported Jemele Hill and he is clear about issues of race and immigration. I think that the people who like him either agree with him or understand that getting his politics is part of the bargain, what makes him interesting includes his political views.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Le Batard likes to generate conversations about our human experiences, warts and all.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

Le Batard has also been a drama queen for a good 20 years.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Memory is hazy, but he carried on for a while over the Elian Gonzalez case, no?

7. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

"I have no problem with someone talking politics as long as that person is in complete agreement with me." -- 99 percent of America

This is why no-politics rules exist. It's so much simpler that way.

There is no shortage of other sources if you need to fill your daily outrage quota.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

He's a professional opinion haver. How can you have opinions about sports (and so race, and society) and not have opinions about politics? Like, how do you avoid it? He's not supposed to talk about, for instance, Colin Kaepernick? How is that even possible?

9. 3_Octave_Fart

HanSenSE, that sounds right. That also seems like it was so, so long ago.
    Off the top of my head, there was also the sale of his BBWAA vote to Deadspin.
    Various public feuds with South Florida media personalities in the '90s (Hank Goldberg in particular).
    He acted as a sort of Ricky Williams whisperer when all of that mess went down, this time of year in 2003.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. NOT THAT JD

NOT THAT JD New Member

Tard has talked about race in society on his show and in his columns for more than 25 years - sports or otherwise. This is really no great surprise for anyone who has followed him for more than a minute.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When MLB started to establish a relationship with Cuban baseball he wrote a column in an early edition of the ESPN magazine criticizing it. I remember he called someone in MLB, maybe even Selig, to ask why MLB could do business with a group who had taken the ancestral home and driven his family from Cuba,

What I find interesting is that you would figure a Cuban-American male like LeBatard, descended from refugees, would be a Republican.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting. Would love to know if the other league-owned media properties have the same policy. I suspect they do.

Interesting that the sports-politics subject area that seems to draw the fewest "stick to sports" critiques is the issue of public financing of facilities. Perhaps because this is one area in which every legislative body -- whether controlled by Democrats or Republicans -- seems to agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted