1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In the meantime, Andy Ruiz on the front page of the Sunday NY Times.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Schwarz was a complete stiff, totally outclassed. Fury is really relaxed in the ring, not a lot of wasted movement. His jab is a solid weapon.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Now what?

Wilder

Ortiz

Ruiz

Fury

Joshua

Povetkin

Whyte

Miller

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So.

Pacquiao SDs Thurman.

Old Manny wins another, but the real story has to be the arc and eventual failure of Thurman's career.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Yeah, Thurman went from being one of the elite welterweights to a guy who got hurt and then outclassed by a 40-year-old.

I hate that we are now one step closer to a MayPac2. Ugh.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had it 115-112, Pacquiao. To me the knockdown late in the first changed everything, I thought Thurman had been doing very well until he got decked. But he looked slow, his punches had little snap and I doubt he ever came really close to hurting Pacquiao. Manny is amazing for a guy his age, who had moved up so much in weight to still be that quick and strong.

In the undercard title fight on Fox, Spike Lee would have given a better account of himself against Caleb Plant than Mike Lee did. he was totally outclassed, use that Notre Dame degree to find a safer way to make a living.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I actually think Thurman, if he can get his health straight (his hand issues really de-railed everything), should come out of that loss better for it. It's one thing to take long layoffs after 32-33 when the body takes longer to recover but he took 23 months off for injuries at the prime of his run.

He didn't just go out there and bullshit like Broner, he got stunned and fought back in the middle rounds to turn it into a hell of a fight, Pacquaio's body shot in the tenth round really put the fight away because it was on the cards before that. The dogshit commentary didn't make you feel that way but if you had real eyes it was a very good fight.

One thing worth noting. There was no VADA testing for this fight since it's not required by the WBA. It was all NSAC, which you may or may not trust depending on your opinion of them. But let's put this Pacquaio up against his next fight, which would likely be against Errol Spence and will have mandatory VADA testing. And obviously any fight with Mayweather (not happening) will be extensively tested just to make Pacquaio as uncomfortable as possible.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Definitely agree that Thurman fought his way back into the fight with some good work in the middle rounds. Spot on note about the commentary, Lewis and Goosen were very pro-Pacquaio, they were either missing or ignoring a lot of what Thurman was doing to get back into the fight, it was a much closer fight through 10 than those guys would have you believe.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I didn't have Thurman winning 7 of the final 8 like the scorecard that had him up 114-113 did but I thought he clearly won 5 of the final eight rounds and the 8th and 12th rounds were legitimate swing rounds. 115-112 Pacquaio was about as lopsided as it could get.

Dan Rafael's score of the fight was laughable. I think he was the only person on earth to give Pacquaio the ninth round, when Thurman outlanded him something like 32-6 or something.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

As shockingly bad as Brian Kenny was in the Canelo-Jacobs fight, the FOX PBC broadcast tried to out do them. I think Lewis, sheepishly and almost embarrassingly, had to admit the fight was close when they asked him about the scorecards.

FWIW, I thought Pac won 114-113, gave Thurman six of the last seven rounds with Pac clearly winning the 10th off the uppercut to the body -- the one time in the final seven rounds where Thurman didn't move forward and he paid dearly for it. Thurman won five of the final seven rounds on two of the scorecards and four of seven on the other.

It's a little curious that Dave Moretti, a boxing judge that I have a ton of respect for, gave Pac the 8th round because I thought that was clearly a Thurman round but whatever. It was a very good fight. A fight that boxing needed. It's hard to complain with anything that happened in the ring.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Tweener that the worst part of this will be the renewed yammer for another Pacquiao - Mayweather (49 - 0*) payday.

Draft saved Draft deleted