1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

148th Open Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Koepka could've shot a 60 on Saturday if he'd putted at all well. I wonder if that contributed to the bad start today. I know all those guys are psychopathic optimists, but there had to be a touch of "maybe I let this one get away" in his head.

2. Awesome for Lowry.
    Fleetwood - if he could have putted - would have pushed him. He is streaky as all get out.
    Did not care for NBC's coverage. I thought it sucked.
    Best thing about the coverage were the promo's Sunday Night Football.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very true. Everyone loved the Cinderella stories and the horror stories from Q School, but that change is hard to argue now.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It may be harder on those types of courses, but it seemed to me that they lost a lot of shots, especially coming into the green.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think you can knock NBC for that - pretty sure the cameras are part of an international feed (which presumably uses camera people who cover Euro golf all the time) except for the interviews.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's the Sky TV feed. I believe they have the rights from the R&A.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I was optimistic that someone, anyone in the final groups would get one over on the weather and force Lowry to do something other than play prevent. Instead we got a day of relatively shitty golf in bad weather.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, hard to knock the Peacock when it's getting shots that aren't their people. Much like when ESPN/ABC had the rights. It's a good story, but there was definitely a lack of drama throughout the coverage.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Who's fault is that? Should Lowery have made a few bogeys to make it interesting?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Anyone else see Stenson shank on 16?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Bo Jackson was a nice touch.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I'm not knocking it. It is what it is. We get lots of blowouts in sports. Including this. And Lowry made lots of bogeys today. So did everyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted