1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jonah Keri arrested for alleged spousal abuse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jul 19, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

2. Would not have expected that from him at all. But you never know what somebody is capable of.

3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's "so 2019" that someone gets jobs based on professional skills but can, in fact, be an asshole personally? Makes zero sense. No one should be fired or hired based on some third party's assessment of the person's "virtue." Quit whining, make yourself valuable and then make yourself essential. Glad this hypocrite Keri got found out for who he really is and might be held accountable for his actions/behavior by the people in position to do so. Sorry as can be that his wife is the victim. Don't agree with stretching the cloak of victimhood to include people who didn't get a job here or there because this guy got 'em.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Something doesn't add up about this story. He was long married before 2018 and was Denver-based.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

not sure I see the "whining."

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm conflating. A long-running criticism of the radio station where DiCaro works has been its consistency in putting first only, then mostly male hosts on the air, with numerous people questioning that pattern. To the point that, when I see her name, that's the first association: she's the person upon whose behalf people have lobbied for more air time. So when I read her tweet about someone who "keeps getting jobs," that was the backdrop. So scratch the "whining" part if it simply was questioning hiring someone despite known domestic-abuse behavior. Though I'm not sure what really was known till now. And I do support hiring people who come out the other end, having paid their debt for whatever particular transgressions.

Liut likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not sure what any of this means. Just watch Mad Men. Entire show was about being an asshole to everyone while being successful in business. 2109 has nothing to do with it.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

1) Does The Athletic perform background checks?
    2) On a lesser and tangential note, why would you have a MLB writer based in a city without a team?

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

There is a whole generation of baseball writers that have made their names not by going to games and interviewing players but by embracing statistical analysis. (Fangraphs, Baseball Prospectus, etc)

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

True.
    As long as that’s all they want — i.e. if they don’t care about covering the business of the sport — then it makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted