1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette going all digital

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jul 18, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was all prepared to pronounce something like "no daily papers in the eighth-largest city in the U.S."

Then I Googled it ... and Pittsburgh is No. 66 in population in the country. Henderson, Nev., and Aurora, Colo., are bigger.

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia

3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I'm reading this in that article, though ...

The print version of the paper will now only be available Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

4. jr/shotglass

"Phasing out" is going to mean that won't last long, either.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I think the population within city limits is rarely indicative of the market.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The P-G gets sold and distributed as far south as Uniontown and Morgantown WV.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes! It's happening. Down to 3 days for print. Even the Boomers who are hooked on habit/print will learn to live without a subscription. Save the 1000 dollars a year and say screw it.
    Please all companies, copy this now. Let's speed this up and get rid of the daily fishrag now.
    p.s. Ever think they are hanging on with three days of print edition just to make sure the employees don't all quit and merely start their own websites? Why write for the Post when it's all digital? You can put out your own digital product. But if the Post owns the presses they still can run your website out of business via print sales.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the largest metropolitan area without a paper that prints daily is Portland, Oregon which is the 25th largest metropolitan area. I thought Newhouse had reduced the frequency of the Oregonian to three times a week. Pittsburgh is 26.

List of metropolitan statistical areas - Wikipedia

I think the largest city without a daily paper is Mesa, Arizona. I think Long Beach is next. LANG still prints the Long Beach Telegram but I don't think the company maintains any editorial offices in the city. List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Isn't the city of Pittsburgh actually really small but there's a ton of suburbs and exurbs or whatever you call them?

10. jr/shotglass

A lot of suburbs. I'm still shocked that the city itself is barely over 300K.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm in one of those boroughs. Don't technically live in Pittsburgh, but I can be at PNC Park in about 12 minutes.

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

So the Post-Gazette has a lot more reach than just those in the city limits.

I'm all for the digital push. But given what I've read about the PG's owners, I'm not exactly confident that they'll be pumping savings from from reduced print costs back into the newsroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted