1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We chose to go to the moon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 16, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you don't count "contact light."

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Which you don’t because the craft was not yet fully ON the moon, just touching it.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, all the status reports on engine arm off, etc etc are pretty much mandatory checklist stuff.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Correct. It's not as simple as turning the ignition off. One of the other things they had to do immediately was mark their exact location in case they had to leave the surface because of some emergency.

6. Starman

In case there was any kind of damage to the LM in the landing process, they had about a 4-minute window in which they could immediately abort, fire up the ascent stage, get back into orbit and rendezvous with the CM. So the instant they landed they had to run through a quick checklist so they could have taken right off if they needed to.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I came across something in my recent reading/listening about how the LM engine shut off like 5-7 feet off the surface and the craft fell that last little bit. Think it was a Gene Kranz interview on that 13 Minutes to the Moon podcast.

SO, "engine stop" may have still been "near" the moon rather than on it?

8. Starman

I think the "curb feelers" hanging off the LM pads were 6 feet long, and descent rate was supposed to be 2-3 FPS at contact. So it would take a second or so after contact before you actually got the pads down.

There were three or four things they were supposed to report in those first several seconds so I imagine the sequence was a little jumbled up.

But "engine stop" was a pretty major milestone, I'd bet Buzz actually said it pretty much the moment it happened.

9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

He must also think Trump is making America great again.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This seems like the start to a bad sci-fi horror movie ...

"And they dumped things that weren’t really advertised to the public, for understandable reasons, like defecation collection devices. (Some scientists, curious to examine how gut microbes fare in low gravity, even proposed going back for these.)"

What Is the Apollo 11 Landing Site Like Now?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always thought dive bar bathroom was the ultimate "road win."
    Taking a dump on the moon, though, definitely tops it.

expendable likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted