1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike people are the worst

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

https://pagesix.com/2019/07/16/sean...25.360075911.1563195502-1296241293.1561480257

Surprising no one, Sean Avery is one of the douches who crusades for bike rights. I get that bike lanes should be respected, particularly in a place like New York City. But people take it too far.

The other day we were driving and this guy was riding his bike down the middle of the road, going like 15 mph, not giving way. The speed limit on this road was 40 and he was just pedaling along like it was a no-wake zone. So we went around him, half in the lane, half in the shoulder. And he went ballistic, waving his arms. I honestly thought he was gonna create a situation and I told my lady that if he hits my car at all, I'm gonna get out and confront him. He didn't; he went straight as we turned.

A little while later, he passed in front of our lane from the other direction, and was once again waving his arms at a motorist who apparently didn't recognize his biker rights.

I ride a bike all the time. I love it. But I always ride against traffic -- so that others can see me and I can react to their movements -- and I never assume that others will treat me like a freaking car. Want those rights? Stay in a designated bike lane or get a big boy bike. It's called a motorcycle. Otherwise, get the eff out of the way.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a matter of traffic law, I'm pretty sure this is incorrect no matter what state you live in.

4. CD Boogie

What's unclear? He was in the middle of the lane. I passed him on the right so that my car was straddling both the lane and the shoulder.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seriously?

That doesn't seem optimal.

Or legal.

6. CD Boogie

That could be so. But I live in a residential neighborhood and not a city, and I am usually riding with my daughter behind me, and I feel a lot safer knowing a car sees me first and is not riding up on her. Bikes, to me, are for recreation. If you live in the suburbs and need to ride a bike everywhere, it's probably because you got a DUI ;)

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Your Hot Bike Take aside—cyclists die all the time under the wheels of inconvenienced cars—the problem with this scenario is a lot of motorists turning right only look to their left before proceeding, assuming nothing is coming the other way in their lane. Same with pedestrians, who might step out in front of you. I get it with your daughter, but she'd be safer, I think, riding in the correct lane, tucked in front of you.

As an aside: Having finally realized that I can't run anymore, I have become an extremely avid cyclist this summer, with my beautiful black bike and my calves shining in golden light. Magnificent, is the word you're looking for. It's the best, and I should have done it a long time ago.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

(And, if you try to pull that pass-on-the-shoulder crap on him, he will catch up to you and he will fight you.)

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I do feel bad for cyclists who get hassled by drivers, but then I also get frustrated when cyclists do the same thing to walkers on trails. And I doubt that the ones who get hassled by cars are the same ones who buzz me and write diatribes about runners and walkers social media, but for a community that is supposed to be about sharing the road, there is a vocal minority that doesn’t seem to get it.

Also, less than five times, but it still has happened: a driver with a share the road bumper sticker has almost hit me while running over that past 20 years.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's funny, but I'm actually my most chill on a bike. I'm like a dog with his head out the window. I have no idea why it took me this long to start really riding.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So you broke several traffic laws and don't know the proper way to ride a bike on the road.

The bicyclist waves his arms in the air because of your illegal maneuvers, and he's the bad guy.

Got it.

12. CD Boogie

Glad you can follow along.

Draft saved Draft deleted