1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Congrats. You got one out of four right.

All you do is post bullshit on this board, primarily on this thread. It's not funny or clever.

ChrisLong and wicked like this.
  2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

So you believe the source when he agrees with what you said? That's funny. (FWIW, I believe Authletic is authentic.)

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Absolutely

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't mean this to be sarcastic. I am just curious.

Denver Post circulation has dropped from over 400,000 when they combined with the Rocky to less than 100,000 on the Dean Singleton resigned from DFM. So not the paper is not getting many new subscribers. And how can you tell many people have been subscribing. And how can you track enough of the subscriptions that a single story attracts to make a valid statistical judgement?

On a related note I have read the Denver Post either in print or on-line for over 50 years. I have seen a lot of Broncos writers including Connor, Schechter and Simers. I think O'Halloran belongs in that pantheon. Congratulations on that hire.

cake in the rain likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

I look at the Las Vegas paper occasionally. While the athletic department of UNLV is an absolute disaster I always thought there was a lot of interest in UNLV football and basketball because it was the only team the area had to follow until the NHL team arrived two years ago. And the metropolitan area has a population of more than 2,000,000.

6. Writer

Writer Member

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Ryan is the man. Works his butt off and constantly wants feedback on how to improve; goes out of his way to try to help out everyone from digital producers to wanting to assist with other beats. He's a veteran reporter and an editor's dream.

And subscriptions to any newspaper are way down from the glory days, but I'd like to think I'm not alone in every morning going through the digital subscription numbers from the past 48 hours (it usually lags a day behind) to look at exactly which stories and beats are generating subscriptions and analyzing trends in that area. It's all easy info to access and sort with Mather. It's ridiculous that the Post doesn't have a full-time preps reporter. I've said for a while that if they could just give us a position, it would pay for itself within a year. Tried a new approach to covering state wrestling this year and over three days, it converted almost 30 digital subscriptions; about half that for state basketball and track. Every football Friday last fall, we'd aggregate the MaxPreps statewide scoreboard and it'd convert 1-3 subscriptions per week. Almost any feature, and definitely all columns and real enterprise stories we've done on preps in the past year, translate directly to new digital subscriptions. The conversion rate on preps is bonkers.

Tweener likes this.
  8. LanceyHoward

I read right by the part about you moving to a new job in North Carolina.

Congratulations.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thanks. Let's hope I don't screw it up. ;)

10. LanceyHoward

I am sure you will do fine. I just hope McClatchy starts to do better.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I had a season-long column about college football for the WWL a few years back that did very well metrics-wise from what I was told. (No specifics, just "Doing great.")

I followed that up with a season-long column about college basketball, which is basically only of interest to most fans for one month a year. My shitbird editor -- a well-known name in these parts -- gracefully told me at season's end, "Your college hoops column is DOA. It had the worst numbers of anything we ran." He probably wouldn't have said that to me if I hadn't complained about him killing a humor piece I'd written about St. Patrick's Day. Which is to say, numbers are always an arrow in their quiver, ready for use. I doubt it's ever the all-in reason to keep or kill someone, but it's an easy thing to reference that has nothing to do with a person's personality, etc.

I doubt even when he was killing it at Page 2 that the powers that be were telling Simmons his exact numbers, but I could be wrong; he might have negotiated it into his contract or something. When I saw metrics, they weren't specific to particular columns or articles, only sections.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Narrator: They won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted