1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Can @authletic confirm this?

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Make sure you don’t miss the latest awesome post by @authletic.

3. authletic

authletic New Member

Most of this is not accurate.

What’s that old saying? Don’t believe everything you read on “Sports Journalists Dot Com”.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

What’s the old saying? Don’t believe anything you read from a guy who claims it’s the real guy but still hides behind a weird fake name?

Believe it guys, the Athletic is coming to Spokane and Boise. And someday with any hope our beloved Missoula and Bozeman

Severian likes this.
  5. authletic

authletic New Member

Boise is happening, but you may want to double check with your 'sources' on WSU, UNLV and CSU. See you Monday!

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is hilarious. So this is just a way to terrorize the reporter some more. If the reporter gets good pageviews it's probably because of the nature of the beat (translation, don't expect a raise in pay ever). If the reporter gets bad pageviews he/she still will be chastised even if he/she has a non-popular beat. "get more page views! how can you get more page views?" And another way to make sure no raises are given. How bout you suits laying off the reporters regarding the pageview issue? it's not reporters' fault this business is done. How bout going to your ad sales people. Oh I forgot you don't dare go into their offices. It's all the news writers' fault you know.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I've seen reporters who performed the worst in online metrics be laid off before. Sucks. Isn't right. But I will say that in today's world, that should be coming far less common. With how little CPM is being valued for so many news orgs, the important metric is becoming subscription conversions and path to conversion -- and rightfully so. I've had reporters get bummed out that a story got only 600 page views, then I go look at the subscriptions on that "poor performing" story, and it converted three. Then I see people celebrate a story that breaks 100,000 page views ... with no subscriptions. I'll take a story with fewer than 1,000 page views that converts subscriptions over something that goes viral on search with an audience that isn't local eight days a week.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

With all due respect, this is all b.s. Not from you, but the whole perceived value of certain stories leading to subscriptions, etc. Just let your reporters do their thing and hire some salespeople who know what they are doing. Ah ... can't do that. Can't interfere with departments outside the newsroom. It's always on the reporter to sell the product and that's why newspapers are about dead. Reporters, the lowest paid rung, one of the worst jobs in the world in terms of work/life balance and pay, are responsible for everything. Again, not referring to you but this wretched system in general. It's downright sad that news organizations are putting this subscription problem on individual reporters and individual stories. Stupid and wrong. Look at some other departments that have ruined this business. Put some heat on the 9 to Fivers ... again, can't do that.

TigerVols and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

As has been stated, click metrics as the measure of a reporter are BS. I could investigate, write and break an article about government waste that saves taxpayers millions of dollars and it gets nowhere near the clicks as the article about the guy decapitated in a crash I rewrote from a press release and threw together in 10 minutes during a random fill-in cop shift.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Content sells subscriptions. That content falls on the journalists in the rooms — primarily the reporters and editors. I can hire a top marketing firm to pimp subscriptions but if the content is trash, no one is going to buy. And that’s honestly not a new concept.

This being the case helps show suits that a preps reporter is just as valuable — if not more valuable— as an NFL best reporter. Preps have poor page views but in most markets I’ve talked to and worked in, it has the highest rate of subscriptions of any sports beat. Keep in mind, that’s rate of conversation, not total conversions. NFL is its own beast and I would guess most major markets, it’s the leader in total subscriptions, but preps has the most amount of subscriptions per story. It’s the content.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Dude, enough with the obnoxious trolling bullshit. It's your whole act here and it's tiresome.

TigerVols, ChrisLong, wicked and 7 others like this.
  12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

He confirmed they’re adding a Boise writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted